Kent I

Home Made Screweyes

There was a discussion of home made twisted wire screweyes on this forum some time last year, but search as I may, I can't find it. Can somebody give me a lead? If not, can somebody who uses these clue me in on how to screw these into the plug without causing the wire to unwrap? I've been using these, but don't have confidence in them because of the minimal amount of engagement.im able to achieve between the hole and the screweye. I would greatly appreciate any help with this.

When you make your screw you have to pay attention to the direction you turn the wire. If they are unwinding just insert them by turning in opposite direction. Most of us rely on the glue to hold them in rather than the screw threads themselves. Some actually make the hole loose and fill with epoxy to hold screw. Test some of yours and see how they hold. Good luck.

Drilling a hole that lets you slip the twist wire screw eye in easily, and then filling it with epoxy before you insert it, will give you a strong bond.  The wire will break off before it pulls out.

If you're using a soft wood, put a drop of runny super glue in first to reinforce the wood around the hole, and then install the wire with epoxy.

27 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

Drilling a hole that lets you slip the twist wire screw eye in easily, and then filling it with epoxy before you insert it, will give you a strong bond.  The wire will break off before it pulls out.

If you're using a soft wood, put a drop of runny super glue in first to reinforce the wood around the hole, and then install the wire with epoxy.

I agree but take it one step further. Get yourself thin, medium and thick CA glue and some accelerator. I use CA to hold the nose loops in on my darters. In EVERY test I have done pulling, pushing, twisting, etc you will BREAK a .062 stainless wire before the CA bond will fail. The thick will fill gaps....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Salty's said:

I agree but take it one step further. Get yourself thin, medium and thick CA glue and some accelerator. I use CA to hold the nose loops in on my darters. In EVERY test I have done pulling, pushing, twisting, etc you will BREAK a .062 stainless wire before the CA bond will fail. The thick will fill gaps....

Salty, I actually use gap filling ZAP super glue and their accelerant to  put in my hardware, too, but I suggested epoxy because many people here have it, and use it.

On 01/09/2017 at 10:09 AM, Salty's said:

Yes sir Salty, you are exactly right about the strength of glues. I was surprised at its strength.

Edited by DaleSW