Nathan

New jointing method for Swimbaits?

Definitely have to use SS..I was doing some research and this stuff comes in all sizes..

Mark,

I wouldn't cut my bait in half..Just drill out each side slightly larger than the chain, a little 5 minute epoxy on the chain..a little down the  hole and feed the chain down the  the hole with a tooth pick..etc..let dry on one side then do the other side...What do you think?..Nate

In that arrangement you are basically depending on a single bead and the 2 links within it for the joint.  I don't think it would be as flexible as other joints and I'd worry about the links hogging out the hole in the bead's wall and failing eventually.  Not saying it couldn't be a solution but Is it the best one?

I wouldn't think the beads inside could go anywhere for quite awhile. The bead would have to work out of the epoxy to the diameter of the bead, at least close to begin failure. These chains come in different sizes too. Nothing says how many are used for anchoring into the piece except for the size of the lure itself.

I believe it's worth trying and testing. As 21xdc stated it should have action if you can keep the joint clean.

Just my :twocents:

12 hours ago, Nathan said:

Definitely have to use SS..I was doing some research and this stuff comes in all sizes..

Mark,

I wouldn't cut my bait in half..Just drill out each side slightly larger than the chain, a little 5 minute epoxy on the chain..a little down the  hole and feed the chain down the  the hole with a tooth pick..etc..let dry on one side then do the other side...What do you think?..Nate

Nate,

I would be very hesitant to use chain.   The balls in the link are thin walled, and I think they would fail with repetitive movement on the swim.  Plus they're permanent.  You'll only get one shot to install them correctly, and, once you get them installed correctly,  if they do fail, you'd have a heck of a time trying to replace them.

I really don't like joints that can't be serviced in the  case of problems.

Oh dang those swivels are an awesome idea. It would be just like having a swivel on any lure.. eventually it will fail but I'd imagine it would take forever. your bait would probably be toast before the swivel broke. trust me those heavy ones are awesome. They work great for salmon and sturgeon. My 80# Dacron breaks before the bead chain will. 

I'd imagine they are stronger than the other bead chain posted as well. 

You never know, but look at the Live Pointer. 

It just uses flexible steel wire through the multiple joints.  On paper, the wire is very strong, 80 pounds or more I guess for each strand, and very flexible.

But the strength of wire, or bead chain, is measured in tension, or pull.  It is not measuring shear which is what is created when the joint is flexed hard when a fish is fighting.  Mark made the best suggestion here, test it in the shop first.

I have tossed dozens of Liver Pointers away before I stopped buying them, just because of broken joints and lost fish.

But, I have considered replacing the wire with Spectra............

Again, you really never know until you test it.  Try it and let us know what you think.