Crappie85

Any one use soft bait for salmon?

Yes, a "trout" worm, a 4" or 6" worm in bright colors is commonly used for Steelhead and Salmon in Washington State.  At times, they do work.  Normally they are fished on a light jig head suspended on a float, but I have done well in the past wacky rigging them with the weight about a foot above.

Remember that Salmon done "feed" after they return to fresh water so it is a reaction strike, an instinct to clean up the water, a ....... well no on seems to know for sure.

hmmm maybe one of my senko style baits with out salt might work with a jig head? I have fished for salmon a few times with out ever a bite this year i would like to at least hook into one. I just bought a camp which gets a run of salmon near by just trying to get my self ready im pretty new to the game of salmon....

18 hours ago, Crappie85 said:

hmmm maybe one of my senko style baits with out salt might work with a jig head? I have fished for salmon a few times with out ever a bite this year i would like to at least hook into one. I just bought a camp which gets a run of salmon near by just trying to get my self ready im pretty new to the game of salmon....

The salmon I've caught have all been on a fire tiger, or glow in the dark Wiggle Wart.  They don't feed, but they will react out of instinct.

I was in Alaska 2yrs ago, we could throw anything we wanted at them and not get that reaction bite. we may have got 3 or 4 all week that were on hard baits, Put skeens back on you got bit 50% of the time. Guys say they don't feed, but in my experience they sure will eat up some eggs, I am told they do it for dominance, how true that is I do not know.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Baitjunkys said:

I was in Alaska 2yrs ago, we could throw anything we wanted at them and not get that reaction bite. we may have got 3 or 4 all week that were on hard baits, Put skeens back on you got bit 50% of the time. Guys say they don't feed, but in my experience they sure will eat up some eggs, I am told they do it for dominance, how true that is I do not know

And yet my son and his family just got back and his complaint was that it was almost impossible to drift anything through Pinks without getting a hit, and the Silvers were Hot with the rising tide, and he never used bait.

I have always found Salmon to be a timing thing, get it right and it is easy, get it wrong, well you find out why it is called fishing and not catching. Uggg