Kevin Vetrano

Do you need an injector for a senko mold?

3 minutes ago, Kevin Vetrano said:

What would happen if poured on hot plastic when the mold is open and then close in after I pour it on

You will get incomplete pours.  You can fill your mold half full then close it and any plastic that is hot will run down and fill the base and then leave you with about 1/2 a senko.   Of course you could try filling the sprue some and it would fill in partially some of the cavities but still going to be junk baits.

I think I would recommend that you go with an injector and injection mold as very little learning curve.  

Edited by Travis

I went  with injection molds & it's really easy when you/re first starting. Hand pouring definitley isn't nearly as easy & takes a lot of practice to get decent at which i haven't yet myself. after pouring for awhile. If i were you i'd go with injection to start unless of course you're bound & determined to hand pour. If so be ready to be disapointed until you get the hang of it. Good luck.

Edited by Les Young

1 hour ago, Kevin Vetrano said:

What would happen if I had it clamped down with a vise and then poured in the plastic with the Pyrex glass

Injection molds are designed to be filled under pressure with an injector, hand pour molds are designed to be filled by pouring plastic into them.  No matter how many different ways you phrase the question, the answer will be the same.

• Like 1

Go ahead and spend the extra 50.00 and get an injector.  I have a trick worm mold that is hand pour i have never had a great looking worm come  from it .LOL I do have some of the worm molds that can be hand pour each worm has its own spur but i tried to pour them with no luck i inject them. If u heat the mold it might hand pour have not tried this takes too much time with a heated mold. U have to let mold cool before u can get your baits out!!! When i tried to hand pour them they would set up before it got to the bottom of the worm. Cub48

• Like 1

On 9/8/2017 at 4:05 PM, alsworms said:

Sadly, it's a thing of the past.  The art is gone.  :(

With all due respect- hand pouring is for those who don't want to spend the $ for injection molds. I started out hand pouring 9 years ago and you couldn't begin to get me to do that neanderthal way of making swims,craws,creatures.lizards and worms-ever again. Too many caveats- not to mention trimming along w/ poor quality,finished product. !

2 hours ago, smallmouthaholic said:

With all due respect- hand pouring is for those who don't want to spend the $ for injection molds. I started out hand pouring 9 years ago and you couldn't begin to get me to do that neanderthal way of making swims,craws,creatures.lizards and worms-ever again. Too many caveats- not to mention trimming along w/ poor quality,finished product. !

Oh don't get me wrong.  I know why everyone does it.  I just didn't have the options that are available today.  As you mentioned, I'm not sure if I would have spent the money anyway. 

One thing I will kindly disagree on though........I never felt that I ended up with a poor quality product.  If I sold it, I thought it was good quality.  I just couldn't kick out the numbers that you guys are doing today. 

• Like 1

And not everyone is "in business".  I pour for myself as a hobbyist, so my time is my own invested only for me.  I don't have to live by the saying "time is money".  I want to keep it relaxing, not a competition to produce max numbers in the shortest possible time.

Rick H.

SE CT

• Like 2

I think several would point out we are talking very different subjects.  True hand pours are high end baits that were specifically crafted for texture colors and layers to meet high pressure finesse fishing conditions of typically clear water western reservoirs.   They were superior quality baits and highly sought after.   I never came across bad quality baits initially wasn't until later became you better make sure you knew who you were ordering from. 

The addition of deep water fisheries on the BASS scene and guys like Aaron Martens drops shotting for deeper fish further fueled the 'hand pour" market in the southern fisheries as it brought a tactic that most southern anglers could use to fish waters they never had before.    Improvements in electronics along with ledge cranking and carolina rigging had already started open eyes years earlier.    Translation it allowed bank beaters to move out to open water structure.  

Lure makers capitalized on the situation.   What hand pours has become is not the same.     Guys had no intention of creating the high quality baits they were pouring low dollar knock offs.   Senkos pretty much gave lure making a make over.    Senkos and traditional bubba baits/color scheme of the southern fisheries was what guys were making.    Guys were looking at a poor man's equivalent to high number production allowing them to sell a bait for cheaper than the big brands and "catch'" the guy that had read about hand pours and them being an elite method for angling.  

Edited by Travis
  • Like 3

I hand pour all my senko style baits ,  I use 6 -10- cavity Del Mart molds.  way less   plastic ( sprues & runners )  to cut baits from.. I do not have to pull the injector apart after each mold. Some guys mite put the injector in a hot pot ,so they do not have to pull them apart, but I do not have one , So then you have all that plastic from the injector that needs to be remelted with the runners... 

Anyway I prefer hand pouring my senkos over injecting them.. 

I do have 3 injectors that I use a lot also but not on senkos.. 

just my way ,

• Like 2

I mainly hand pour baits to use but inject several also.  Really tackle is just too cheap (always find stuff on clearance or stores closing) for the amount I use now to mess with making it.

I injected more as fewer wanted hand poured laminates in custom colors and for every one of those would have dozens wanting junebug, zoom watermelon, etc.... baits in exact styles.    Made no sense to hand pour many of the baits and depending on the style just too slow.  Something like a senko no big deal and likely at one time poured faster than many I have been around injecting the bait.

The fun hobby became more like stamping out widgets and at that point it started making more sense (in time investment and cost) to outsource to those with legit injection machines and try and go bigger.  I had no interest in that (very likely not the ability/desire to succeed and even then that usually ins't enough)  and  didn't see it likely to replace my real job in regards to income, benefits, flexibility, and overall security.    So many small lure companies just don't make it.

Edited by Travis
  • Like 2