BigBaitB

Need swimbait help.....again

So I'm trying to make a line-through swimbait and I can't calm down the side to side roll this thing has.

I doubled the weight in it and that stopped it from doing barrel rolls, but it's still has a wild side to side to it.

I'm remaking the mold to make sure the weight is centered and also thinking about repositioning the weight insert lower in the bait. Or maybe more moving it to the middle of the bait(at the moment it is just below the mid point of the body)

Looking for advice from some of the experts before I end up going through a gallon of silicone before I get sit right

Post a photo of your bait from a few angles so we can see it.  

A couple things as I have three muskie sized swimbaits. 

- flatter bodies will roll more than a rounder shape 

- paddletails actually twist outward and bend the tail area back and forth  so they promote roll.  

-if u want to eliminate the roll you could change to a wedge shaped tail similar to the Huddleston concept. you can do this without copying his patented design. 

Personally I like belly Rolland by playing with your harness or line thru area it can get your bait to wander which I also think can be a great trigger. however reducing roll will help force your tail to kick wider. However, baitfish typically swim with a tight tail wiggle anyways so wider may not be better  

it's all so complicated. lol 

I found that, with hard swimbaits, tapering from a full width back of 7/8" to 5/8" at the belly, starting at the bottom of the shoulders of the bait, created a very stable bait that could be burned on the retrieve without rolling.  I think it might have been because I removed some of the buoyant material from the belly, but maybe it's just a more stable shape.  It's kind of like a V/battleship profile.

Maybe the same thing will hold true with a soft swimbait.  Flat sided cranks roll less, so there seems to be a connection between side profile and bait stability.  Maybe the flat sides offer more resistance to the water, and dampen the roll.

A thinner, "taller" profile might also help.  Look at the Huddelston/type swimbaits.  Maybe you could deepen the belly of your existing mold to get the taller profile.

Another thing some successful soft swimbaits have is dorsal fins, which also add another vertical flat surface to increase stability.

Then, again, what do I know?  Nothing, if you ask my family!  Hahaha

Edited by mark poulson

I modified the tail and found that to be my issue. 

When I made the tail skinnier it calmed the roll down but it took away the kick and made the tail twist

When I made the tail shorter it calmed the roll down some and still had some kick

When I cut the tail skinnier and shorter decreasing the overall tail profile it fixed the problem all together

I tried to throw in some video of my results but couldn't get it to upload so here are my exacto knife fixes before I modify the mold

20170910_095934.jpg

IMG_20170910_120341_102.jpg

20170910_095255.jpg

• Like 1

in the gallery under softbaits,  is big panchos baits.  he pours all my saltwater swimbaits and we use them with 10\0 beast hooks for calico bass.  you can burn these baits and no roll.  you can pm him and ask him some questions if need be.  he is a real great guy and i am sure he would help answer any questions you have.

• Like 1