ddl

air compressor for budget

hey guys

air brush choice is solved it will be a gravity feed eclipse but now i need your help for a good compressor.i've found 2 that look good and would like to know your opinion concerning these 2  and maybe you got a better suggestion? here is the model  Badger TC910 , Pro modèle as-196 a that look like a clown of the previous but something like 80 bucks less and last one look like a no name so here is a link

https://www.amazon.ca/Badger-Air-Brush-Co-TC910-Compressor/dp/B005UH7CVI

https://www.amazon.ca/Weberdisplays-Pro-Twin-Compressor-Regulator/dp/B01M0BMTET/ref=sr_1_13?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1505142001&sr=1-13&keywords=air+compressor

https://www.amazon.ca/Compressor-Airbrush-Regulator-Pressure-Braided/dp/B014OJFJRQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1505135702&sr=8-2&keywords=airbrush+compressor

Edited by ddl

I like that it has an air tank which avoids the air pulsing you see with small compressors.  But I'd like to see its max pressure stats.  I want at least 60 psi max pressure because pressure drops 15 psi on a small unit about a second after you press the trigger and I like a minimum of 45 psi sustained available when I want it.  Compressors of all types are usually noisy.  Is that a consideration?  If not, I think the best bang for the buck is a tool compressor with at least a 6 gallon air tank (the larger the better).  I use a 135 psi 6 gal Porter Cable unit that fits under my work bench.  Advantages:  you never have to worry about pulsing or available pressure,  you can paint for a long time without the compressor airing up again, and tool compressors are less finacky and generally cheaper than airbrush compressors per volume of air provided.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ddl said:

these one are small?

Relatively.  The smaller the storage tank, the more often the compressor has to cycle to maintain pressure, and the harder the compressor motor has to work.

If you're only painting occasionally, and not big batches, that compressor will probably last a long time.

hey bobp

yeah i also think about these big one as a construction guy i saw that every day it's solid but definitively too noisy ,i live in an apartment so in need something a bit more silent .do you think  the one whit piston oil are more expansive and more silent?

tks

47 minutes ago, BobP said:

I like that it has an air tank which avoids the air pulsing you see with small compressors.  But I'd like to see its max pressure stats.  I want at least 60 psi max pressure because pressure drops 15 psi on a small unit about a second after you press the trigger and I like a minimum of 45 psi sustained available when I want it.  Compressors of all types are usually noisy.  Is that a consideration?  If not, I think the best bang for the buck is a tool compressor with at least a 6 gallon air tank (the larger the better).  I use a 135 psi 6 gal Porter Cable unit that fits under my work bench.  Advantages:  you never have to worry about pulsing or available pressure,  you can paint for a long time without the compressor airing up again, and tool compressors are less finacky and generally cheaper than airbrush compressors per volume of air provided.

badger 57 psi

87 for the 196

last no name it say Powerful air pressure (PSI) at 1/4 HP, delivers more air volume than any airbrush demands and also this Auto-stop Auto-start Energy Saving: Pressure start at 43 PSI and stop at set pressure up to 57 PSI when not spraying .sound  fishy ...........

I have two, one for quick and dirty jobs, super quiet, and one for big jobs, but a lot more noise.

My large 6 gallon unit is a 135 psi 6 gal Porter Cable like BobP uses.  I wonder if his is black also.

Now, for my smaller unit, the one more suited to an apartment environment, I use one I got from Harbor Freight.  It came with an air brush and a small compressor combined for about $100, but that was several years ago.  As indicted, the small chamber means it is pumping a lot, but it has done me well and can easily do the pressures I use.

But, it is also true, you can spend more money and get a lot longer lasting unit, but how much are you going to use it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/California-Air-Tools-2010A-1-HP-2-Gal-Aluminum-Air-Compressor-CAT-2010A-new-/331926571925?hash=item4d485d8b95:g:CT4AAOSwL5pZg19e

While I'm not familar with the compressors you listed,  this is the compressor I purchased after researching for a while.  I got it on a 20%  off one item on Ebay earlier this year.  This thing is incredibly quiet,  has fast cycle times, and holds consistent pressure @ 40-50 psi for priming.  I paint in the spare room in the house, it's quiet enough for that.  Can talk on the phone and/or hear the TV while it's running.   I have used a Master Airbrush compressor and a Harbor Freight one as well. 

22 minutes ago, Anglinarcher said:

I have two, one for quick and dirty jobs, super quiet, and one for big jobs, but a lot more noise.

My large 6 gallon unit is a 135 psi 6 gal Porter Cable like BobP uses.  I wonder if his is black also.

Now, for my smaller unit, the one more suited to an apartment environment, I use one I got from Harbor Freight.  It came with an air brush and a small compressor combined for about $100, but that was several years ago.  As indicted, the small chamber means it is pumping a lot, but it has done me well and can easily do the pressures I use.

But, it is also true, you can spend more money and get a lot longer lasting unit, but how much are you going to use it?

hard to say i would like to say a lot but it will depend of my carving  and painting  talent, at the start maybe 5 lures per week

Edited by ddl

16 minutes ago, AZ Fisher said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/California-Air-Tools-2010A-1-HP-2-Gal-Aluminum-Air-Compressor-CAT-2010A-new-/331926571925?hash=item4d485d8b95:g:CT4AAOSwL5pZg19e

While I'm not familar with the compressors you listed,  this is the compressor I purchased after researching for a while.  I got it on a 20%  off one item on Ebay earlier this year.  This thing is incredibly quiet,  has fast cycle times, and holds consistent pressure @ 40-50 psi for priming.  I paint in the spare room in the house, it's quiet enough for that.  Can talk on the phone and/or hear the TV while it's running.   I have used a Master Airbrush compressor and a Harbor Freight one as well. 

17 minutes ago, AZ Fisher said:

hey thanks a lot for now i think it's my best choice.good price and look solid

lol i have to buy the same thing but whit another name to get the lowest price.guess the name king canada

http://www.ebay.com/itm/King-Canada-Tools-KC-1620A-ULTRA-QUIET-OIL-FREE-AIR-COMPRESSOR-1-6-GALLON-TANKS/182725146989?_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D46088%26meid%3D5412fbdd39a34bdbb096928a7d296fc6%26pid%3D100752%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D172410070501&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

look the same no? do you  know if construction compressor have some disadvantage vs the one strictly made for airbrush?

I have the masters compressor with like a 1.6 gal tank I think. I am very much a rookie at this but have painted 50-60 baits so far and I have no complaints about the compressor. (Very quiet) I think they are fairly cheap on the TCP website.  They sell kits with just about everything you need but the brushes are pure junk in my opinion.  I will paint 2-4 baits at a time and so far it has preformed and held up so far. 

5 hours ago, Matt Jackson said:

And be sure to put a water separator on whatever you get. 

Depending on where you live.......

IN Washington State, I usually never got water in the separator.  In Utah, I have never seen any water in it.  In Louisiana, I had to drain it all the time.  LOL

what's that? here it can pass from  around 80 percent in the summer to less than 40 during winter ,due to eating.but i try to keep it at 50 min for my guitar.i have seen a kind of plug on the contruction model a plug that i think remove air and water?i think i'll get an aluminium tank is that ok?

I have an 8 gallon Harbor Freight compressor in the back part of my shop that I use for airing up tires and various jobs around the yard and shop.  I have it connected to a PVC hardline plumbed into the front part of the shop for blowing off gun and reel parts.  I'm going to tap into it with a moisture trap, filter, and regulator for my airbrush.  The compressor was $100 and the hardline, filters and regulator will probably total $50-60.