Glideb8

Clearasol drying time?

I just tried Clearasol for the first time today on some 6" soft plastic swimbaits that I made and painted with Lureworks CoLure Coat.

I was going to just leave the paint and not coat it, but since these are for saltwater, I wanted to see how they would look and how the Clearasol would go on.  When the paint is dry, it basically just looks and feels like the paint that's on Hudds and obviously it wasn't smearing or coming off.

I'm in NJ and The CoLure coat took a few hours if not more to dry.  I only found this out because I had rubbed off paint in spots minutes after painting.  I heated the Clearasol about an hour ago and dipped some swimbaits, but it didn't set within 5-10 minutes.  The temp outside right now is 58.  I basically just held each one until the Clearasol stopped dripping and then I laid them down on their backs since those back's edges are a little higher than the flatter part of the back due to plastic being sucked down(which I don't mind if I'm using a Beast hook).

Anybody have experience dipping with this stuff?  I searched and I saw a few replies that just said it takes forever if it's cold.

Thanks

I pitch the bait in a large pan of water immediately after I dip it in clearasol (that sets it immediately and doesn't allow any sagging).  Something isn't right if didn't set fast in 58 degree weather.  You did heat and convert the clearasol (just like any plastisol) right?

Edited by bryanmc

bryanmc=- did heat it until it was clear and hot enough to be used as a dip.  I tried putting one swimbait that I just coated into water and the Clearasol partially came off.  I wiped that one off and then dipped it again.

Frank-I thought I shook it up well and I mixed it, but I'll just try it again tonight.

They're still not dry today.  If I touch them, then some Clearasol comes off.  I have to try and dip again tonight.  I called Spike-It and Bruce told me that it should dry right away after dipping so I probably didn't do something right.

I

You need to heat it to ~350f (then you can let it cool a little) before you dip.  Hot enough to dip doesn't really say anything about what temp you're taking it to.   When I use it I can handle the baits in 30 seconds (or less)  and it's not sticky at all.  I'm wondering if you got a bad batch...

Edited by bryanmc