Volp1

Refinishing some old Bagleys

Guys,

I bought some old Bagleys off ebay and am womdering the following:

How do you guys handle a lure with a crack in the paint all the way down to the bare wood? :huh: Do you have to to sand every bit of paint off the lure and start from scratch or just heavy sand the areas with the cracks and leave the rest of the lure with a light sanding???? :huh::huh: Any help as always would be greatly appreciated. I have also been carving some bodies and playing with my airbrush. I hope to have a completed lure soon and post my results. Thanks to all here for all the insight!!!! :wink:

Volp1

Although I will probably take alot of heat from some of the guys what I would do is strip the entire bait down to bare wood and reseal the bait and start fresh. Chances are if part of the original sealer has been compromised then there are other areas that you can't see that have also been compromised. Makes sense to me that if you are going to spend time fixing up an old bait why take the chance of ruining all of your work if there is a hidden problem

Damaged lures, a favorite topic... I've restored severely damaged and cracked lures in 2 ways before, both ways for different reasons. Like Blackjack said, if you think theres a good chance that you might have some greater damage under the cracks, sand it down as much as you can without sacrificing the integrity of the lure, its balance and shape. Then seal it real well.

The other way is to lightly sand the rough places around the cracks, getting it fairly smooth, doesnt have to be perfect. Then fill in all the gaps with a filler. Let that dry real well, then sand the lure back to its original shape. Once again, seal it, let it dry and start your painting process. I have a few before/ after pics on site of different types of damage if interested in taking a look. Good luck with it and let us know how they turn out.

KL

www.customluresunlimited.com

I was interested in repainting some of the newer bagleys I've bought, and was wondering how to either get the cup washer off the rear linetie or somehow hide it. In the past, I've put devcon on it to smooth it out, but the lure turned out too heavy for me (it was a photofinish lure). I plan on stripping the lure down to the bare balsa. thanks