ddl

Badger, 480-1 million air opinion?

can get it for  170 ,it's used but look in really good shape.anyone know a good way to see if the piston work properly ?and some good things to look at  before  the payment ? it's a compressor with oil

good or bad idea for me it's hard to say because there is almost no info on the net about it

Oil compressors are kind a thing of the past for airbrushing from what I am seeing. Yes they are extremely quiet and reliable. But i just dont like the idea of the pump that is making the air needs oil.  If you do go this route, make sure you keep up on the maintenance (oil changes, moisture trap cleaning) to get the best performance out of it. 

I've never used an oiled comp but many have.  As long as you have a filter to remove any oil in the air line, it should be ok.  If oil gets into the paint, it causes adhesion problems like fisheyes, especially with any topcoat you may put over the paint.  Check to see if any oil is in the air line, check the filter, etc.  

Edited by BobP

I use a 40+ year old oiled compressor, and have never had oil issues with my paint.

Back when I first got the compressor it was to use on construction sites, and, in order to keep water from rusting out the tank, I poured compressor oil directly into the air storage tank, so I was worried when I began using it for air brushing fifteen years ago.  But I've never had any issues.

I have a filter right where the air come out of the compressor, and another at my paint station, just before the air brush connections.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

is that filter is usually  something that come whit it out of the box or you have to add it by yourself? is that a good idea to shoot air towards a glass of water just to see if there is some oil visible? i really would like to get it because it's really silent but that damn oil problem kind of scare me

specs

MILLION-AIR MODEL 480-1***

The 480-1 is powered by a 1/4 HP motor and has a .45 gallon (1.70ltr.) tank which develops 19.8L/min .70 CFM at 126 PSI (8 bar). Will operate up to two airbrushes.

Additional Specifications
• Max Pressure: 116 PSI (8 bar)
• Motor: 115 Volts/60 hz AC 4.8 amps
• Dimensions: 18" L x 8-1/2" W x 18" H
(45.5cm x 21cm 45.5cm)
• Shipping Weight: 67 lbs. (24 Kgs)

480-3.jpg

they said that model is not good for t shirt painting doe's anyone know the reason?it should be the oil?

Most likely DDL. I don't use a oil compressor for that reason. I believe if the oil seals are in good shape you will not have a problem. Once the seals start breaking down you will begin having problems. I will not take that chance. I guess I can say this when I have a dedicated room for a loud compressor.

With catchers/filters you would be ok I guess. I have them on my system, because of my setup. I have found that oil filters catch very small debris. I use the filter as a drip/solid debries catcher. I have a large system.

Another thing about a compressor and multiple airbushes. Unless there is more than one person using the compressor, you are not going to use but one brush at a time. Unless you are an outstanding ambidextrous person. My Grands are the exception to the rule for me.