WOODS101

UV enhanced paints ??

Looking for suggestions on uv paint or top coat .  Kinda driving me nuts.  Almost every factory bait has a uv enhanced line glow etc.  But it really feels like I'm moving backwards on trying to figure this out.   I'm painting plastic blanks that I get from a local lure manufacturer that recently started selling a "kit" basically of all USA made components.   So you paint it throw on split rings / hooks and BAM you got a lure.  Sorry off subject..  As of now i'm using createx paints that I have had much success with.   Just at a roadblock with the whole UV deal.

My experience  with this product is it works to a degree.  I does glow in the bottle nicely under a black light. When clearing a lure with it, it took multiple (3-5) coats to really get it to glow well.  With multiple coats the paint and color of the bait began to get muted and cloudy. It worked well for some deep diving cranks that I painted flat black for the summer nights.  Being as I just wanted a plain black bait, I laid lots of coats of UV seal coat on and it glowed nicely.  If you're doing high end detailed paint jobs, might not work for that.

There are a bunch of vids on Youtube on the subject, search   UV Lure Coatings...

I mix Glonation glow powder into my paint.  It shoots fine through my 3.5 nozzle.  Using a Createx clear as a base works.  I haven't tried it in any other paint, because I think the pigments would mask the UV glo.

My best results have been from mixing their white/green powder into clear nail polish, and then coating the baits after they're painted.  This also works on spinnerbait heads and blades.

Edited by mark poulson

The topic is UV enhanced paints, but, in all honesty, one needs to understand a little about UV, ultra violet light.

UV light does not penetrate paint or pigments at all for our purposes.  It might penetrate a few nanometers (nothing for us), but what that means is adding UV enhancers to paint is unproductive.  That means that only the UV enhancer on the surface as the paint cures will work.

On the other hand, adding UV enhancers to clear coats are marginally productive.  The enhancers cloud clear coats if used in substantive amounts, but they can "collect" UV light.  Adding a thin coat will glow in UV light (black light) which can penetrate water to some depth in certain water conditions.  A little helps some, more helps more but then starts to cloud the finish.

Still, if you are trying to "sell" UV enhanced lures, how much is really enough.  Even a little is enough if your primary colors are white or fluorescent because in reality, that is what most fish will see.  I have attached an old answer and write-up on UV that might give some insight.

Phosphorescent is different then UV, but that is also covered in the attached article.

Determine if you are doing UV for yourself, or as a selling point.  Then, once you make the determination, then proceed.  I contend that companies are "selling" UV enhanced lures mostly as the current marketing scheme. 

But, I don't want you to be discouraged.  You are asking the right question. 

UV Light.pdf

That was interesting AA. I read an article wrote by Doc Vinall (marine biologist/fishing fanatic) about colors and the spectrum that fish can see at different depths in water. I agree with these articles, the best a layman can do.

Soo, I have experimented over the years and some times by accident found that the suggestions were true for the most part. I would use this when someone would ask me to paint a lure for them. I will ask what is the depth you are fishing and where? They would say for example that they would be fishing at 15' lets say. The area that they were fishing in, was mainly stained. So I painted a bait that would give them the best shoot of a strike. When coming by or meeting me where we were going to fish, they were like....what is that? They would say (just about every time) I want these colors. I would explain that these colors are lost in the depth of the water (lack of light). I would get them what they wanted if at the house. If out on the boat I would use the one I was giving to them. When I start catching fish you will see them to start paying more and more attention to what was happening. After about half a day or so they will start hinting that they may be interested in that paint scheme.  ;)

Go figure