Jeff Hahn

Mold for heavy cover swim jig head

I've been catching a few nice fishing using a heavy cover swim jig. I've tried several brands on the market and the bullet nose jighead works great, and does the Hack Attack heavy cover swim jig is ok. But, so far, my favorite is the Gambler model swim jig. The head is tapered, being narrower on the top, but is rounded as it tapers toward the bottom of the head. The sides are also tapered, being narrower at the front and wider toward the rear. And, the eye of the 6/0 hook comes right out of the nose of the bait to help shed weeds.   I know I can get a bullet nose Do-It mold. But, does anyone make mold for the Gambler style head?   Here's a pic:

rs.php.jpg

12 hours ago, mark poulson said:

Could you modify an Arkie jig mold by putting some high temp silicone in it, and then laying the jig head you like into the mold, and closing it to force the extra silicone out?  I'm assuming you can get an Arkie mold with a big enough cavity to hold your swim jig head.

Oooo, I hadn't thought about doing that!  I have an Arkie mold and that sounds like an interesting experiment!  I'm gonna have to give that a try!

• Like 1

On 9/16/2017 at 10:34 AM, mark poulson said:

Could you modify an Arkie jig mold by putting some high temp silicone in it, and then laying the jig head you like into the mold, and closing it to force the extra silicone out?  I'm assuming you can get an Arkie mold with a big enough cavity to hold your swim jig head.

I took a look at my Arkie mold and none of the cavities are large enough to accommodate the Gambler head.  But, I did find the Backstroke Swim Jig Head at LPO and ordered a couple to try.  they look pretty similar to the Gambler head.

http://www.lurepartsonline.com/Online-Store/Stamina-Weedless-Jigs/Backstroke-Swim-Jigs.html

• Like 1

If you are dead set on having what you want, and along that same line of thought with the rtv, a guy could order a blank mold from do it ( they have them available for purchase) and drill a large cavity on both sides. Then use your rtv and jig to make the impression. Probably get more than one cavity out of it. Of course, you would have to drill a sprue also. Very doable on a drill press.

• Like 1