ddl

fluorescent?

was going to buy createx airbrush colors red and orange fluorescent but here is what i've just seen from createx website The color’s fluorescence is due to the pigment being in a rapid state of decay.Fluorescent colors are not intended for permanent finishes.

is that true even if it's sealed? if that  doesn't work were im gonna find that kind of color out of createx airbrush colors??  it already  begin to be a lot more complicated than what i tough ,by chance this forum and  some good users exist.

ps to make sure there will be no confusion  i don't look at some  glow in the dark paint

I have some original baits I painted back in 2012 with some createx FL paints and they have not faded that I have noticed. A lot of times if the bait is sealed in a UV resistant coating it will reduce most of any fading that will happen due to UV light.  I do find that Testors Aztek FL colors do work better for my needs, but they are not a full acrylic like Createx (meaning they do have a few solvents in them)

• Like 1

"Neon colors which emit a glow. Work best over a white base color such Opaque White. Fluorescent colors are NOT lightfast. The color’s fluorescence is due to the pigment being in a rapid state of decay. Fluorescent colors are not intended for permanent finishes."

Yes, I see that write-up.  It is unfortunate that their information is somewhat less then accurate.  Neon colors do indeed emit a glow, but only when exposed directly to other light, mostly white or black light (UVa).  It does not glow "in the dark".  Indeed, they do work best over a white base coat.

Technically, no, Fluorescent is NOT lightfast, so don't use it if it is exposed all the time.  Fortunately our lures are not exposed to light all the time.  They tend to set in our tackle boxes most of the time.  Being lightfast means that they won't fade when exposed to light, mostly UVa light, but again, it takes time, time our lures will not be exposed to.

The following link is a bit technical, but might help some.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminous_paint

Yes, the pigment is in a "rapid state of decay", but that rapid state means it will decay in years instead of decades.  I would not worry about it for our purpose.

True, no Fluorescent color is intended for permanent finishes, so if you want your lure to look like a fluorescent color for your great grandkids, your out of luck.

The information about Fluorescent colors is true no matter who makes it.

Considering the grammatical error in Createx's write-up, I guess that even a big company can make mistakes.

• Like 2

From a science stand point. . "Rapid State of decay" is relative. Plus, technically, everything is in a state of decay. We however can not live long enough view things like petroleum products break down completely. So being relative... 20 years is "rapid" compared to 20 thousand. Like AnglinArcher pointed out, is will take years, not decades. 

Don't ask me any more on relativity though. I fell asleep through most of that class. 

Lol.....Jonister. You needed a recorder. From a layman's side of this. If I don't lose, damage or a fish damages a bait for about two seasons that bait has done well and me too. I have baits older than that with these types of paint on them and to my eye these baits look similar to when I made them.

If you feel like I do DDL about the life of a bait....don't worry about it. The only paint that I get frustrated about is metallic's. I'm just now messing with them a lot.

• Like 2

yeah anyway if they are good they dont last for 10 years.yesterday i give my first test whit my eclipse at 40 psi,it was createx black but reduced by only 1 or 2 percent,at almost lowest triggering possible sometimes paint come out sometimes it don't ,lines were not continuous .is that an hardware trouble or paint or operator trouble ? btw my iwata is not new.look easy but it's not

On 15/09/2017 at 3:01 PM, DingerBaits said:

I have some original baits I painted back in 2012 with some createx FL paints and they have not faded that I have noticed. A lot of times if the bait is sealed in a UV resistant coating it will reduce most of any fading that will happen due to UV light.  I do find that Testors Aztek FL colors do work better for my needs, but they are not a full acrylic like Createx (meaning they do have a few solvents in them)

omg they were at 2 dollars per bottle at michaels,ive completely forgget your message and ive get just the gold and try it without a mask heart was pumping fast and lung and throat were kind of irritated lol.they sell out of all there airbrush materiel .there was nice copper and purple  i think i'll get these two but there was not fluo at all.it smell really  ad vs createx.do you like their metallic colors like gold ,silver etc better than createx?does it worth that horrible smell?

14 hours ago, ddl said:

is that an hardware trouble or paint or operator trouble ?

It is probably a little of all of the above.

I don't have problems with the paint straight out of the bottle, but I use a different airbrush.  I use to have problems, but after enough practice I kind of developed the touch.  I have painted with lots of different paints, from Createx, to hobby paints, to taxidermy paints, etc.  Each one is different, each one needs a little different handling, but each one works well.  Even Black and white are different to paint with, with black covering better, but drying faster, white taking lots of layers to cover, but drying less fast (tip dry).

So hardware trouble, it is possible.  Being used, I would take it apart and make sure that the needle is clean, straight, and polished (non-pitted). 

Paint issues, well it will take time to get each paint figured out.  Pick one brand and figure each color out, then work with other brands. Lots of the "Hobby or Artist Paints have pigments that are not ground fine enough for normal airbrush work, but with a larger needle they will work.  My Talon allows me to use three different sized needles so I can go up for "dirty paint" or metallic paint, or down for detail work.  

Operator trouble, it may take a few tries, or lots of tries, each of us have different sill sets.

Just remember that everyone of us started the same way, and each of us had to go through the same learning curve.  You can do it too, but how fast depends on so many variables that I cannot predict how long it will take.

• Like 1

I just get a new iwata  eclipse it was gun fault,real trash from pawnshop needle and nozzel was no good there was also a nozzel cap from another model,really not something to buy used .at least not for a noob like me.yes paint was aztek.

tks for the good words

here is the email i just got from createx,i think it's a good info to share whit everyone

Thank you for contacting Createx Colors.  Please find attached our application guides.

All fluorescent colors, including ours, are not lightfast as what makes them fluoresce, emit light , is that the pigment is decaying.  Therefore, the color will eventually fade.  The paint is made with a durable resin, so the coating doesn’t fial in the long-term, its just that fading is inevitiable.