ddl

Rotisserie motor

i know that subject have been covered quite a bite but i think an update would be good just to see how the supposed good motors have turned lol. i think some ebay seller have some good cheap model can you tell me who have them? for now this one is by far the nicest one i have seen,it look so nicely made.but is that a lil bit too slow or  that's just me?

tks

Edited by ddl

I paid under 30 bucks for a Charbroil rotisserie motor about  14 years ago and have turned a few lures over that time with no issues.    At one time I was looking at building a new set up with a high dollar variable speed motor they were going to throw away from work.  Never built it as figured my set up works just fine for the 10 to 20 baits max I do at a time.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Travis said:

I paid under 30 bucks for a Charbroil rotisserie motor about  14 years ago and have turned a few lures over that time with no issues.    At one time I was looking at building a new set up with a high dollar variable speed motor they were going to throw away from work.  Never built it as figured my set up works just fine for the 10 to 20 baits max I do at a time.  

+1. I built mine around the same motor, using most of the components that came in the set. A little scrap plywood and some cup hooks and you're there.

• Like 1

On 20/09/2017 at 11:10 PM, Anglinarcher said:

And I got a geared motor used off ebay about 7 or 8 years ago for about $5 plus shipping and it still turns them out.

As long as it turns a couple times a minute, it will work for epoxy.  Mine is quite a bit faster.

what was the name ?

On 9/22/2017 at 11:52 PM, ddl said:

anyone know when rotation  is 2 fast or 2 slow?

I don't think I have ever heard anyone have issues with the typical rotisserie motor sold for grills using Devcon, Etex, etc...  I believe most would fall into the 6 RPM range (+/-).  Now you can get much faster but begins to defeat the purpose as it won't allow the top coat to level and causes it to stay pooled.   Various variables also at play but figure unless one really works hard at messing things up a 6 RPM motor will work fine.   Some have used 2 RPM motors but usually for top coats with higher viscosity.

• Like 2

Here's what I've found from my experience epoxy coating and rotating both cranks and swimbaits.

A Ferris wheel-type turner with larger plywood discs works best with a slower motor, since the larger diameter increases the distance traveled and speed of rotation of the lures as you move out toward the outer parts of the wheels.  The one I built used a one rpm rotisserie motor, and it worked just fine.

Rotating shaft turners, with lures connected to the actual rotating shaft, need more rpms, because they move less with each rotation.

• Like 3

This is my rotisserie, motor turner, I made it in about 45 minutes. It does a great job, and was super easy to make. The round wood pieces, I made a square hole in the center, that lets the disks slide down the shaft. I used my mortising machine, but you can do it with a wood chisel. and the stands are made from scrap wood laying around the shop. I already had the rotisserie motor, that I never used, so I have basically nothing in it. Hope this is some help for people looking to make one.

IMG_1540.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1