Mr Jaws

Homemade blade bait blowing out.

I went out last night to buy a chatterbait. I thought it was redicules to pay $ 15.99 for one. So tried my hand at making one. I just can't figure out why this blade bait is blowing out. It has great action when retrieved at slow speed. Do I need more weight up in front ? Or do I need to get rid of the weight on the hook. The brass bullet weight is 3/8 oz. 

All comments appriated.

IMG_1397.JPG

I would start by changing your line tie, like JLS stated above.  The way you have it now, you are trying to make it into a crank bait. The line tie should be from the bottom of the blade, so you get  force of the water on the blade keeping it down and giving it a wobble, wobble effect.

Yes, We have seen a lot of guys use Spinnerbait molds, various jig molds, poison tail swing jig, you name it guys have used them to make these vibrating jigs. One factor that's been thrown around is using a jig that the blade slaps the jig on the side of the head as it vibrates. A friend of mine, no longer with us who propelled me into this hobby, used the arkie jig mold and did we ever catch some bass with those jigs. Experiment some and come up with one you like and have success with. Thanks for the compliment on the baits, by the way:-)