Pursuit

Looking for clear coat methods for KBS on wiggle wart blanks

8 posts in this topic

I have been using KBS to clear coat my wiggle wart blanks and I have been getting some pooling of KBS on the top of the blank, at the tail.  Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what remedies there may be?  I am dipping and hanging the blank and also putting wire in the rear hook hangar.....

Edited by Pursuit

When I dip a bait and then hang it, I watch it as it drips off, and use a paper towel to remove the last few drips, so they don't cause a buildup at the tail.

Since the rear hook hanger isn't at the very bottom, the wire might be creating a problem, instead of helping.

Try dipping without a wire, and see how that works out.

Are you thinning the KBS 20% with Xylol/Xylene like you should be?  2 coats? 

Many say they don't turn their baits.... I turn them all so the coat is even w/o any pooling anywhere. 

Edited by 21xdc
  • Like 1

I haven't thinned it yet......I have done around 200 lures with it so far and have been waiting for it to start to thicken.  I think I see your point, maybe thinning it will reduce the pooling in that area.  I have some of their #1 thinner and will try it.

On 9/23/2017 at 8:16 PM, 21xdc said:

Are you thinning the KBS 20% with Xylol/Xylene like you should be?  2 coats? 

Many say they don't turn their baits.... I turn them all so the coat is even w/o any pooling anywhere. 

Will the KBS thinner work with their Diamond Coat?

Yes... That is what they sell it for.... But the Xylol/Xylene works as good and cheaper and easier to find at your local home center or hardware store. 

7 hours ago, 21xdc said:

Yes... That is what they sell it for.... But the Xylol/Xylene works as good and cheaper and easier to find at your local home center or hardware store. 

They can't sell Xylol/Xylene here in California.

I dip, hang, and dab the back with a paper towel like Mark does.  Never had an issue, just makes it so you cant walk away with in the first 10 minutes.

• Like 1