whitaker201

first baits finished

medium.IMG_20170924_155402744.jpg.32ec8b

I kept the paint jobs very simple as this was the first time I used an airbrush. I also didn't sand the top center bait smooth like I should have. I am going to have to add a little more weight to a few of the baits to get the action the way I want it, but all in all I am happy with the first batch.

Oh yeah........ The smallmouth liked them.:D

IMG_20170924_141155852.jpg  IMG_20170924_140138798.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you. I am not looking to advertise. I'm just starting the process on learning how to make baits and how to make them better. I will get better with my painting skills but for now I need to learn the basics.

Rod: I started with a piece of stock and sketched an outline of what I wanted the shape to be. Cut that shape with my hacksaw. Then used a wood rasp to get close to the final shape. Sanded smooth, primed and painted it. I used rattle can clear since I had it laying around AND I will not use that again. I put 4 coats on them and it is not a durable top coat. I used screws for the hook hangers and line tie and used superglue to help anchor them in place.

The colors are: chartreuse and white on the baits on the left; Copper/brown mix and chartreuse on the right; chartreuse and white then a little of the copper/brown mix on the nose and back of the bait in the top center.

• Thanks 1

Always tinkering..... I wasn't happy with one of the baits out of the first batch so I rounded the body more, changed the ballast, and changed the line tie location. Now it is a wake bait that runs about 4" deep and I am happy with the action. I painted it then tried it Sunday and the fish liked it. B)

I really need to start a notebook on what changes do to the lure action.

Edited by whitaker201

23 minutes ago, whitaker201 said:

Always tinkering..... I wasn't happy with one of the baits out of the first batch so I rounded the body more, changed the ballast, and changed the line tie location. Now it is a wake bait that runs about 4" deep and I am happy with the action. I painted it then tried it Sunday and the fish liked it. B)

I really need to start a notebook on what changes do to the lure action.

An easy way to remember your steps is to make a tracing of the bait's profile and top view on a notebook page, with all the ballast, hook hardware, and lip info,  and then take a cellphone picture of the page with your bait lying on it, too.  That way you can email it to yourself, and have it on your computer.  The actual notebook page can stay in your work area, for future reference.