rrosenberry

weedless tube jig issues

Try pouring a couple without the weed guard and see what happens.  Are you ladle pouring or are you using a bottom pour pot, if using a bottom pour try changing the distance between the spout and the gate. I know I have had heads that the collar wasn't filling all the way and so I would put the gate directly on the spout so it was almost injecting the lead into the cavity and when I cut the sprue off it was hollow. I simply moved the mold down  a little bit and the problem was solved.

5 hours ago, smallmouthaholic said:

Here's your problem- If the wire guard is plastic coated it's reacting w/ the hot lead.You need to strip a short section of the plastic coating w/ these-

image.png.4d4efe61d9437c7c8d65a2eeade6b357.png

Available @ McMaster Carr- not cheap but it will stop your problem if you're using coated wire

Will the melting plastic coating actually interfer with or contaminate the lead?

Won't it just burn off?

11 hours ago, smallmouthaholic said:

Here's your problem- If the wire guard is plastic coated it's reacting w/ the hot lead.You need to strip a short section of the plastic coating w/ these-

image.png.4d4efe61d9437c7c8d65a2eeade6b357.png

Available @ McMaster Carr- not cheap but it will stop your problem if you're using coated wire

Yep, this^^^.  I had the same problem when pouring a jighead using plastic coated wire.  Apparently, the melting plastic creates a gas that prevents the lead from completely filling the mold cavity. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Jig Man said:

I pour weedless tube jigs all the time with coated cable (Surflon 90#).  I have never had an issue with hollow heads.

Aren't you the gentleman that blamed 3 RCBS pots for not melting your lead when you were using FREE  LINO lead that can have a BRN rating up to 22?  Gimme a break w/ your lack of expertise.

BTW- Surflon 90 coated cable is extremely heavy for a tube jig and will cause  the angler to to miss bass in cold water w/ their sluggish ,mush-mouthed bite. The aforementioned statement is based on years of experience and thousand's of wire guard jigs sold and personally used.

I put a double L bend on the wire that goes inside the jig to prevent the wire from pulling out. This causes the wire to rest closely to the end of the cavity. I manufacture 5 different types of wire guard jigs ,some w/ single and some w/ double wire. Small cavity jigs including tube jigs is where the problem arises. This problem bugged me for quite some time until I decided to try something and viola,problem solved- no more holes. Inserting a single ,coated wire into a tube mold ,without a double  L bend that is resting just inside the mold, w/not cause problems. That said, they will pull out  prematurely and I can't have that happen. Smallmouth bass have an extremely strong bite and will loosen up a poorly placed,insecure wire guard w/out L bends. That causes them to loose position and render them ineffective.