Sudd

Tiny Bubbles when airbrushing

18 minutes ago, stretcher66 said:

a number of things can cause bubbles,   to much air pressure,  do you run a water trap in the line from your compressor?   moisture under the paint,  humidity.  these are just the basic ones to start with.   are you using a reducer with your paint?

Yes I do have a water trap.  No reducer as the paint is already very thin.

I'll throw this out there. Are you painting wood or plastic blanks? If wood, the wood could be gasing off. This doesn't sound like that, but I was thinking about what it could be. If you sealed the wood properly this problem would be worst most likely. Trust me I know. I bought some fresh cut wood (didn't know) and this happened.

If plastic, are you cleaning the blank thoroughly? Im thinking contamination.

2 hours ago, SW Lures said:

I'll throw this out there. Are you painting wood or plastic blanks? If wood, the wood could be gasing off. This doesn't sound like that, but I was thinking about what it could be. If you sealed the wood properly this problem would be worst most likely. Trust me I know. I bought some fresh cut wood (didn't know) and this happened.

If plastic, are you cleaning the blank thoroughly? Im thinking contamination.

It's urethane foam sealed with a primer. All of them does not do it, that's why I've been thinking I either get to heavy with my coats and or I have my pressure to high. I did one and one side was perfect while the other side had 5 or so little bubbles.

That's interesting, I paint from 5-25 lbs. Thick primer coates I shoot at about 25-30 and thats with a .30. I do paint with .20 that I thin down some paints to shoot through this but the pressure stay about the same.

I still wonder if the resin is still gassing off. I haven't ever worked with it so I can't say. I believe I have seen a thread about this not too long ago that you can search for. Maybe someone can chime in that knows more about this issue.

Good luck!

Edited by SW Lures

Not sure what brand of resin you are using, but I doubt it is off gassing unless you are painting within a few hours of the pour.

I lean toward the too much pressure or contamination theories.  The fact that one side had it and one did not on that stated lure really supports that.

Additionally, I seldom paint with lacquer because it is totally unforgiving of oily hands or excessive moisture in the air.  Still, if you get the conditions correct so the lacquer goes on good, the finish is great.