Sudd

Airbrush paint booth

I'm a little concerned. I've made a paint booth out of a plastic tub and a bathroom vent fan. I use lacquer paints because I love those paints. My concern is spraying into that fan right where the motor is. I feel this is not safe, but I need to vent out those fumes somehow. My paint table is right in front of a small window. So it's real easy to just stick my vent pipe out the window. Any suggestions on if this is safe or any better SAFER ways I can do it?

Don't use that fan! That fan is not a sealed unit, intrinsically safe/explosion proof or fire proof. There are fans that are made for this. You can go for a long time with no problem or never. Then again one time would be too many times. Yep these fans cost more.

One other thing, look at a filter before the fan and duct. Make it where you can change it out easily. The filter will help the life of your fan. Take a evening and read up and look at different types of booths.

3 hours ago, SW Lures said:

Don't use that fan! That fan is not a sealed unit, intrinsically safe/explosion proof or fire proof. There are fans that are made for this. You can go for a long time with no problem or never. Then again one time would be too many times. Yep these fans cost more.

One other thing, look at a filter before the fan and duct. Make it where you can change it out easily. The filter will help the life of your fan. Take a evening and read up and look at different types of booths.

I just got a booth off of eBay,  what would be the best to use until it arrives? My shop is only a 10x12 so I have to vent it somehow.

Can you put a portable fan in a window? Just make sure you keep an eye on it. It should be alright. The only reason that I'm like this is because of what I do and what I have seen. I'm going to bring up one more important apparatus, respirator since you use lacquer.

Your family and you, your home are more important than taking a chance. 

Good luck & as said, tight lines!

Edited by SW Lures

10 minutes ago, SW Lures said:

Can you put a portable fan in a window? Just make sure you keep an eye on it. It should be alright. The only reason that I'm like this is because of what I do and what I have seen. I'm going to bring up one more important apparatus, respirator since you use lacquer.

Your family and you, your home are more important than taking a chance. 

Good luck & as said, tight lines!

Yes I can set a fan right in front of the window. I use a respirator when I paint. 

9 hours ago, Sudd said:

If I put a furnace filter in front of that fan I put in my homemade booth and sprayed into the filter and let the fan pull it through and out the vent pipe, would that make it safe?

No the vapor from those chemicals is what is the hazard as recommended I would cease using that setup immediately and go with the fan in the window if the distance is not good enough with that I wouldn't even do that if you're wearing a respirator you should be fine for the few days it will take to get the right setup

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gone2long said:

No the vapor from those chemicals is what is the hazard as recommended I would cease using that setup immediately and go with the fan in the window if the distance is not good enough with that I wouldn't even do that if you're wearing a respirator you should be fine for the few days it will take to get the right setup

Ok thanks I will just set my reg box fan in front of the window blowing outward and wear my respirator. Don't want to blow anything up!

I'm in the process of designing a spray booth myself.  There's a good chance I'll be using enamels on occasion and painting outdoors just ain't gonna cut it!  My plan is to use a large furnace filter in the back of the booth and duct it out a window using a squirrel cage blower that came off of a fume hood in a college science lab.  The squirrel cage is perfect as it has no electronics or wiring exposed to the fumes.  

Sudd, these booths are for water base paints. Thats where you come in, you need to know what fits your needs. So many buys without reading up on what they are looking for or asking questions like you are doing.

I'll tell you about something pretty slick that one person did in his booth too. This guy put thin aluminum sheets inside of his booth. This is for clean up in overspray that doesn't get out the exhaust.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ddl said:

i just read full post.you better listen to guys,even if many guys are using unsafe fan for enamel paint without problem.that's their problem,the worst thing is i think a Kitchener fan don't worth more than a non fire safe fan

Kitchen fans are designed to not provide a source of ignition, like a spark from a brush-type motor.  I'm not electrical expert, but I do know this from years of doing residential construction.  There is no such requirement for bath fans.  Dryer vent fans are also explosion proof, because the lint from a clothes dryer can be set on fire or explode.  You really do need to look for the "explosion proof" label to be sure.

I know those booth says not for flammable materials, but why would they put a sparking motor in one? Also aren't those fans enclosed anyway in those booths?

I've got one of those similar to the Master coming, and I want it to work for spraying lacquer or I've just wasted my money.

Edited by Sudd

1 hour ago, Sudd said:

I know those booth says not for flammable materials, but why would they put a sparking motor in one? Also aren't those fans enclosed anyway in those booths?

I've got one of those similar to the Master coming, and I want it to work for spraying lacquer or I've just wasted my money.

I would call them and ask if their booth is save for solvent-based paints

• Like 1