JawjaBoy

Hello from new guy from GA

How y'all are?  

Figured I would post a hello here since hard baits are my area of interest and what brought me here to begin with.   I started making my own lures as a teenager some 30 years ago by sawing and sanding pieces of broomstick into poppers.  I eventually graduated to hand carving poppers, torpedoes, darters and spooks from cedar limbs out of my yard.  I painted them by dipping them in a base color and using rattle cans for the top colors.  I did receive a Paasche H airbrush as a gift and used it a bit with enamel paints, but while it produced great results the cleaning was a pain.  Then marriage,  work, and other interests took most of my lure making time away and I only cranked out a couple of lures a year, mostly as gifts for friends. 

Now I've decided to get back into lure making with an eye towards producing better lures in general and  possibly making enough to sell at local festivals and craft markets.  Not as a full time business, but maybe enough to help support my hobby!  I've been lurking around and the amount of info here is staggering!  My poor lures look positively primitive compared to many I've seen here!  And seeing how involved the process of sealing/painting/clearcoating can be makes me wonder how my lures ever lasted for a single fishing trip.   I'll definitely be doing some more research on paints and procedures, but I'm leaning hard towards using Minwax Wood Hardener to seal and I'm looking hard at KBS for the topcoat.  For the bodies I'm going to start with my old faithful homegrown cedar.  I've got a good stack that's been drying under my shed for years and just found a 36+ inch standing dead cedar tree on the backside of my property.   If I can turn lures from my cedar without too much tearout, I'll have to drop that big boy and bring it home!

So, thank y'all for having me!  I'll do my best not to ask too many redundant or annoying questions and hopefully I'll be able to add something useful once in a while!

Ditto to what Mark has said. Welcome.

Reading your post seem that I was writing your post except for that 30 years. I was a tab bit further back in time. We didn't have a lot so we made ours to fish local ponds. This has started another hobby for me lately. I'm collecting "folk art lures" with some quality. I guess those days of my childhood has made me start that collecting and this hobby now.

Ask away!

Figured I'd post a pic of some of the lures I've turned out over the years.  Nothing fancy.  All hand carved and sanded, and painted with either a rattle can or well thinned enamel in my airbrush.  Except for the Spook copy in the middle which was just dipped.  The little moss green torpedo type lure at middle left is the oldest.  It was actually one of the first lures I made.  No wood sealer or topcoat and yet it's still in good condition and still catches fish.

LuresandPond001_zps759e19db.jpg

5 hours ago, SW Lures said:

Ditto to what Mark has said. Welcome.

Reading your post seem that I was writing your post except for that 30 years. I was a tab bit further back in time. We didn't have a lot so we made ours to fish local ponds. This has started another hobby for me lately. I'm collecting "folk art lures" with some quality. I guess those days of my childhood has made me start that collecting and this hobby now.

Ask away!

11 hours ago, mark poulson said:

Welcome and ask away.  Everything I know about lure making I learned here on TU, from members who shared with me.  It's only fair to repay them by sharing, too.

Thank y'all both!  Right now I'm just digging around and constantly uncovering new information about rigging, paints, clearcoats, etc.  Things have definitely changed since I was last REALLY serious about lure making which was about 20-25 years ago.  What with living in a VERY rural area and not having the internet like today, components and information in general were HARD to come by.  Jann's Netcraft was the only place I came across for components back then and I believe it was because of an ad in either Field and Stream or Georgia Sportsman.  Lawd a' mercy, how times has a changed!!

• Like 1

I will join the crowd here, Welcome to the addiction.  Some of the worlds best are on this site and they have taught a lot about their craft.

To add to the encyclopedia of knowledge available, hover over the word ACTIVITY at the top right.  You will see SEARCH come up at the bottom of the list.  Click on that and type in your search string and hold on, the world is at your finger tips.  :D:wub:

Our site owner, Lurepartsonline.com, has some awesome parts for the lure builder as well.:yes:

12 hours ago, Anglinarcher said:

I will join the crowd here, Welcome to the addiction.  Some of the worlds best are on this site and they have taught a lot about their craft.

To add to the encyclopedia of knowledge available, hover over the word ACTIVITY at the top right.  You will see SEARCH come up at the bottom of the list.  Click on that and type in your search string and hold on, the world is at your finger tips.  :D:wub:

Our site owner, Lurepartsonline.com, has some awesome parts for the lure builder as well.:yes:

Thank you!  Yes, the "Search" function is not as easy to locate on this board as on others!

And yes. Lurepartsonline and Stamina before that have been my go-to parts stop for many years now.  I do find it helpful to have other catalogs handy as not everyone stocks the same parts or in all sizes.  But I'm definitely grateful to Lurepartsonline for this site!

11 hours ago, Saugerman said:

Welcome to the forum. There's a great bunch of guys on this site. They are very willing to share information.

I know, and that is so great!  I've dealt with some forums and sites where folks treated knowledge like it was classified, top secret, I'd-tell-you-but-then-I'd-have-to-kill-you information!!  

Thank y'all!  I'm quickly finding out that, while I've had success with the lures I've made, I've got a lot to learn just yet!  Especially when it comes to finishing and weighting.  I'm fairly certain now that the few diving lures I attempted in the past didn't work due to improper weighting.   Definitely gonna look into trying some more divers in the future!

Welcome new here myself 

Still perfecting my hard baits as well but have some knowledge. I have made a lot of lipless wooden baits all designed to dive. I screwed up lots to figuring things out. Weighting is huge but body shape and paying attention to how water resists makes them move. It's crazy the different actions you can get from slight adjustments 

PS your baits look good and if they catch fish that's the main thing