BigBaitB

Big underspins

Do it has a herring head underspin mold  model HHU-4LA up to 1-1/2 oz and using up to 7/0 hook.

The title said big underspins? 1/4oz  is hardly big-  the 10/0 is definitely big. I would wonder if 1/4oz of lead would even cover the eye of a hook that size never mind give it any stability to drag a blade behind it as an underspin?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, canuck said:

Do it has a herring head underspin mold  model HHU-4LA up to 1-1/2 oz and using up to 7/0 hook.

The title said big underspins? 1/4oz  is hardly big-  the 10/0 is definitely big. I would wonder if 1/4oz of lead would even cover the eye of a hook that size never mind give it any stability to drag a blade behind it as an underspin?

Big hook smallest weight possible is what I'm going for. And weedless. I love underspins but the speed needed in a retrieve that keeps a 1/2oz shallow makes it hard to get a good hook up on a big bait

You might consider modifying the poison swing tail jig for an underspin .It goes smallest at 1/8 and 1/4 oz  Maybe use the larger stw 155wire form to carry your 10/0 hook rated for up to 8/0. May be customize a drop wire for the swivel or  use the swivel part of a heavey wire leader to carry the blade. Just some ideas to consider . Ive been thinking about using the bullet nose jig for a conversion underspin but have not  had the time to play with it yet. Good luck in your search.

Have you concidered using some sort of  shallow screw rig for soft plastic  which could incorporate your 10/0 hook and add any size weight clip on to the line  tie point.  Check out you tube videos on the subject. Lots of applications used for rigging big swim baits for big pike etc. just thinking outside the box a little.

This might give you some ideas. 

i used 7/0 and 9/0 screw lock weighted hooks, floral wire, Solder, soldering iron, JB weld, wire form with loop at end, small split ring, swivel, to size 3 and size 4 willow leafs.  Bent the wire form at about a 55 degree angle, wrapped the wire form with floral wire onto the hook.  Soldered, then JB weld.

There's room for improvement on this design, but they work.

bigunderspins.png