snapshotmd

Clear coating in cold temperatures?

I've recently started painting  crankbaits and use BSI as a top coat.  BSI cures at temps over 70 degF, however, in the winter my basement gets cold.  Temps are usually in the upper 50s/low 60s.  I'm thinking of constructing a heater with halogen lights, but I'm worried about the fire hazard.

Is there an alternative clear coat that I could use that is just as durable as BSI, but has a wider range of temps?  I've looked at KBS but I'm concerned about the fumes, and would like brush it on if possible.  

What other choices do I have.

I’ve topcoated with epoxy in my unheated garage in winter at 55 degrees with no problem.  I believe epoxy will cure at any temp over freezing, it just will just take longer for the cure to develop than at the recommended “room temperature”.  If you are concerned, put the bait on a lure turner on the dining room table at night after laying down a layer of newspaper, or hang it up by a wire somewhere after it has set to a sag proof state.  I mix in a few drops of denatured alcohol to thin the finish after mixing the epoxy to make it brush better in cold temps.  Also, about KBS and other MCU’s, I think the amount of solvent outgassed on a few lures is pretty minor and I don’t hesitate to bring them inside the house to harden a few minutes after applying the finish.

• Like 1

Epoxy has very little fumes, so, like BobP says, you can bring your turner into the house once the epoxy has reached a sag proof state.  That usually indicates that most of the solvent has flashed off.

When I lived in SoCal, I used to leave a couple of 100 watt incandescent lights on overnight, right over my lure turner, in the winter.  If you live where it gets really cold, think about making an enclosure with a light bulb inside, so the heat isn't lost.

• Like 1

I would not get a halogen bulb in there due to the high heat. Use a incandescent. Much safer. A halogen bursts, you are more likely to start a fire due too the excessive heat. Im in Wisconsin and I use a 60 watt bulb on a 120v floor heat thermostat so it will shut off if it gets too hot, and turns on when it gets below temp. Works wonders, also decreases dry times significantly. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DingerBaits said:

I would not get a halogen bulb in there due to the high heat. Use a incandescent. Much safer. A halogen bursts, you are more likely to start a fire due too the excessive heat. Im in Wisconsin and I use a 60 watt bulb on a 120v floor heat thermostat so it will shut off if it gets too hot, and turns on when it gets below temp. Works wonders, also decreases dry times significantly. 

I've been trying to find incandescent bulbs.  I'm limited to LED, or Halogen.  I hate the Green movement!!!  How many 60W bulbs do you use?  Just one?  I've thought of using two 100W bulbs.

ETA: If you mean the 500W  halogen bar lights, I agree that it puts out too much heat and I'm scared to death of it.  If you mean the bulbs, these are no longer available as a straight incandescent.  If the halogen bulb is OK, I'll try that.

Edited by snapshotmd

Bunch of hippies... :P I use a 120v base board heater thermostat (Floor thermostat). I hook the light right in line with the thermostat so the thermostat controls when the light is on and off. simple and effective. If you are using a halogen, just make sure it is far enough away from any of the baits, and if the bulb were to break, what ever is around it wont catch on fire. Halogens produce way more heat than other bulbs, so be careful.

• Thanks 1