nwbass

Injection Press?

If I were to buy something like the Jacobs Econo Series Injection Press, would that completely eliminate the need for the following?

• a microwave
  • Pyrex cups
  • a hand injector
  • gloves
  • safety glasses
  • thermometer

If so, the press would cost about $900 more than the above setup. ( I have an air compressor)

Opinions?

I have one and yes it would all be required for how I use it. I don't heat the plastic in the press and use the Pyrex to transfer plastic from the microwave. It should come with a thermometer but you should be able to check the plastic once in awhile to make sure all things are good. You will need gloves as the whole press gets hot. I don't use safety glasses so that's up to you. If you choose to not have the other tools available then when you reheat it will take awhile. Remember it only holds a quart so it won't last long. 

• Like 1

You can see it in a video on you tube. Look up franksrooty2 then find the injection press one. No I don't have the mixer, for me it's not needed. I go through plastic so fast it really does not have time to settle.  Remember now I do have one of the first ones so it's a little different in looks but the base is all the same.  Hope you find it informative and if not just ask away on this thread. 

• Like 1

I had the Jacobs Press but changed to a Ultra Shooting Star system.  The limited number of molds I could put under the press at one time frustrated me but I got careless and when the hot plastic volume got low on one side air exited with the plastic and the mold wasn't well seated.  

Hot plastic spray was the result. I was pretty well suited up but still got burned a bit.  Cured me of using air pressure to drive the material.