Van1707

Soft Plastic Swimbait Master

Hi Guys

I hope you all well? Ive started making this master for a soft plastic swimbait, bare in mind its not finished yet and it still needs details etc. I just wanted everyones opinion, and you guys can be brutally honest too, constructive critisism is welcome! It is going to be between 7-8 inches in length.

Master 1.JPG

Master 2.JPG

Master 3.JPG

Master 4.JPG

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Anglinarcher said:

I like it, but I have some minor concerns with the tail.  I think it will want to straighten out and not "paddle" side to side as much as you want.

There are ways to fix that so give this a try first and then we all can chip in if necessary.

Thanks a lot man, what would your suggestion be to sort this problem out Anglinarcher? As this is my first attempt, and I'm still new to this,so any advice will be truly welcome.

2 hours ago, Van1707 said:

Thanks a lot man, what would your suggestion be to sort this problem out Anglinarcher? As this is my first attempt, and I'm still new to this,so any advice will be truly welcome.

I hate to suggest fixes until you test it and see if it does what you want.  My concerns are as stated, MINOR.

First, like Travis suggested, the junction to the tail is pretty thick.  But, going with super soft plastic might fix it.

Second, it is possible that the tail will simply rotate straight out as you pull it and then the tail will just drag along instead of paddle.  You can fix that by adding a thin piece of plastic down the center to hold the tail in place.  Forgive my scribbles; I have tried to show it in the attached modified pictures but it is not well done.

BUT, try it first, fix it only if it needs it.

Test 2.jpg

Test.jpg

• Like 1

It's unique and that's hard to do these days. 

But, if it runs well I question the profile from a fish perspective. It looks great from the side but rather unusual from the bottom which is the fish's view for the most part. I think u should soften the profile a bit towards a more traditional shape. 

Just my opinion. 

5 hours ago, Landry said:

It's unique and that's hard to do these days. 

But, if it runs well I question the profile from a fish perspective. It looks great from the side but rather unusual from the bottom which is the fish's view for the most part. I think u should soften the profile a bit towards a more traditional shape. 

Just my opinion. 

Hi Landry, thanks for your comment, sorry ffor the pictures, yyou cant really see the full shape and profile, but I have tappered the belly part like any traditional bait, you just cant see it from the angles I took the photo, but I get what you saying it does look odd shaped but, once Im done I will post more pics so you guys can see, but thanks so much for the advise!

7 hours ago, Anglinarcher said:

I hate to suggest fixes until you test it and see if it does what you want.  My concerns are as stated, MINOR.

First, like Travis suggested, the junction to the tail is pretty thick.  But, going with super soft plastic might fix it.

Second, it is possible that the tail will simply rotate straight out as you pull it and then the tail will just drag along instead of paddle.  You can fix that by adding a thin piece of plastic down the center to hold the tail in place.  Forgive my scribbles; I have tried to show it in the attached modified pictures but it is not well done.

BUT, try it first, fix it only if it needs it.

Test 2.jpg

Test.jpg

Anglinarcher, I defenitly get what you talking about, and thats someting that was on my mind, I will work on that as I have enough material to work with still, thanks for the great advise man.