jonister

CAD and 3D printing

Ok so heres one for the guys that enjoy CAD and understand from a lure sense what i am trying to accomplish. Here attached is a snip of what i have working right now and its pretty much my first try at lures on CAD, Im still getting used to this. I am trying to blend or chamfer the curves to produce a less rough main shape. I do not want to be sanding a 3D printed bait.. You can see upper left especially how rough my blends are but i cant seem to find a way to blend in a less mechanically specific way. Just want it smooth. Its a pain. I might try printing bills as well if i can find the right material to print eventually, however this is what im starting with. Anyways, any help or tips would be wonderful as my class teacher is great with the program but doesn't understand fishing or lures one bit.. Ill probably post pictures in the gallery eventually if i get this to work.  Ill probably be up till midnight working on this tonight.squarebill.thumb.PNG.2ed8344818793c974c1cc8313fcf6773.PNG

Alright, i have made some monumental discoveries between a few cups of coffee.... here is what i have so far. This is absolutely incredibly amazing. I cant describe in words how excited i am to have figured this out. This allows total symmetry, as well as variables such as line tie position, ballast, bill angle, etc, etc, to be almost perfectly viewed without worrying about the variable of carving abilities. I currently have the ballast directly below the hinge point on the lip insert. That will be my first variable. Ill try to print this tomorrow and keep everyone posted on my results. Crankbait.thumb.PNG.bcdd960adc0ec4fb7b15f3fa78eebc03.PNG

• Like 3

What system are you using?

The best way to get a smooth shape in most systems is to create a surface from multiple cross sections. Then from there (depending upon the system) you can edit the surface points to get the exact shape you want.

Also with a 3d printed object the inside will have a criss-cross structural support system inside of the object. It will not be solid.

• Like 1

I have been fascinated with CD printing since the original printers.  I remember my first one that was so rough that I still had to sand it down to make it smooth.  LOL

I don't do It now, but I have been impressed with how the technology is progressing.  But, like SW Lures points out, ballast is a concern.  To the best of my knowledge, ballast will need to be put in after printing, as well as hook and line ties, but that is no big deal. 

As whitaker201 indicated, many 3D printers print the honeycomb internal support system, but not all.  The honeycomb internal system should be quite buoyant.  The solid printed versions take more material and will be less buoyant.  The printer and CAD system I used was a solid system and they would not float.

I see great potential at this time for printing prototypes that you then make molds from.  I see potential for printing prototype molds.  But, I think we are one or two printer/CAD generations away from a practical production system that makes lures in sufficient quantity, at low enough cost, that they can compete with other methods.

BUT, technology is progressing so fast that this post may be obsolete before I hit "Submit Reply".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LOL, isnt that the truth AA. Ok I'll tell my age, technology in the last four decades has been so rapid that it's mind blowing. For me the life of 3D Printing has only appeared in the last decade or two, other than science fiction.

With the outlook of profitability as far time for the technology to catch up is why I stated I may never look at it as a way to make baits. That doesn't mean I'm no more intrigued.

That is exactly what I was wondering about soild plastic molding/forming about buoyancy AA.

Thanks

Sorry guys ive been out of town and my phone wont post on here now for some reason. I didn't get the chance to make the print, hopefully Monday i will. @whitaker201 how did you get the printer to print around the eyes? That would be another fun thing to include, as well as a diving lip. Your model is very cool! 

I have considered the buoyancy of the lure and my first print will be the test to view that. If it does not float, i will have to create more air pockets in the lure to be printed around. This is going to be very cool!

This is sweet! i hope to figure out how you guys get that much detail in a lure. I guess just lots of time. Its like carving but on the computer. I take that back carving is easier and you cant accidentally erase the file.. Still have yet to print my lure. Hopefully tomorrow. Had to print stuff that is actually graded.:wacko:

20 hours ago, jonister said:

This is sweet! i hope to figure out how you guys get that much detail in a lure. I guess just lots of time. Its like carving but on the computer. I take that back carving is easier and you cant accidentally erase the file.. Still have yet to print my lure. Hopefully tomorrow. Had to print stuff that is actually graded.:wacko:

A LOT of time is involved. BUT, if you construct the model right, it will be possible to make changes very quickly and easily. Also, I can change the length of the lure, keeping the relative proportions. All the major dimensions are stored as variables, so simply by changing the variable value, I can control the model dimensions. A short stubby 2.5" lure will be no good as a 6" lure, but by changing the thickness variable I can make it useful again in seconds.

Dave

• Like 1

Okay so I guess it's easier and more precise to change variables. Either way it's fun. Got a print out. Might add a bill next time. It turned out pretty sweet but had to sand the rear down a little. I printed it vertical. Might try horizontal next time.  

IMAG2124.jpg

IMAG2125.jpg

• Like 1