jonister

CAD and 3D printing

I looked at that program and it looks like more of a mechanical program for designing structural items like  tools, parts, molds, ect. You might want to look into a modeling program like meshmixer. Its free also. It is what I used to make the frog above.

• Like 1

I have been using Fusion 360, MeshMixer, and 123Design, For about a year know. I transferred all of my designs over to CAD/CAM and now have quite the library that are all set-up to cut in a matter of minutes, Last pic is the design I did yesterday for the jig that I am going to use to cut the lip slot and drilling operations. The more you use the software the easier it becomes. I had no previous CAD/CAM  experience before starting last fall

pupfishleft.jpg

shakeyJakefront.jpg

charlieOfront.png

luckyFatzmold.jpg

• Like 4

Great job Blackjack. Very nice work. If you don't have a printer, send me your stl file and I'll print it up for ya. Man you have always made awesome lures. You are one of the best in the biz as far as I'm concerned

Edited by Hughesy
  • Like 1

Those are absolutely amazing! I would love to see that mold in action. 

As far as the bait I made goes.. it won't roll out on me when I run it but it has a super tight wiggle. A friend wants one now so I think I'll print another and possibly change a variable or two to make it more erratic. I'm thinking lip angle and tow eye position. 

20 minutes ago, New River Rat said:

Can you take a lure and "read" it to copy for printing?

I do have a 3D scanner that can scan the outside of the lure. But to replicate the inside of the lure, it would have to be cut in half and then scanned. Or scan the outside and use  a cad program to cut the lure in half and then design the inside of the lure how ever you want it.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2017 at 5:50 PM, Hughesy said:

I do have a 3D scanner that can scan the outside of the lure. But to replicate the inside of the lure, it would have to be cut in half and then scanned. Or scan the outside and use  a cad program to cut the lure in half and then design the inside of the lure how ever you want it.

I'm thinking about an obsolete Rapala Fat Rap. I'm pretty sure it was solid balsa. Therefore, the center would be a non-issue. I think.....?

I just found this cutaway of the lure. It is solid balsa.

fr cut.jpg

Edited by New River Rat

6 hours ago, New River Rat said:

I'm thinking about an obsolete Rapala Fat Rap. I'm pretty sure it was solid balsa. Therefore, the center would be a non-issue. I think.....?

I just found this cutaway of the lure. It is solid balsa.

fr cut.jpg

If you printed this, it would have to be printed in 2 halves to make it hollow to give it buoyancy . Also weight would have to be added and figure 8 hook eyes installed. You could do a thru wire harness but the figure 8 eyes would be easier.

• Like 1