eastman03

Paint/clear coat chipping

So I was trolling one of the lures I made on lake of the woods for a few days and I ran into an issue.  (I caught a few big pike on it!!).   Probably fairly normal as far as a lure smashing into rocks, The paint/clear coat tends to chip off sometimes. 

My process is seal the wood. Two layers of etex. Prime. Paint. Then three of four more layers of etex. 

It appears as though it chips off the outer layers of etex and paint and primer. There is still the inner etex left.   Now this may be normal when a lure is smashing bottom. Any tips to help prevent this ? I'm not changing finish. So let's not have that discussion. Lol. 

IMG_3742.JPG

Assuming you scuff up the etex before you paint, you might try an etching primer that will bite into the sealing epoxy and give a good surface to bond to for the paint.  http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/primers/self-etching-primer/

I've never trolled for or caught muskies, so I don't know how it will hold up to them, but it should hold up better than not using it.

Thanks to Cadman, I use it on lead heads, like spinnerbaits and jigs, before I paint them with Createx with an artist's brush, and then top coat with Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails clear.  

The finish holds up to tulles, weeds, and the occasional rock collisions.  

When I used to do some fiberglass work there was something called Amine blush

I think we used some sort of thinner or solvent or alcohol between layes to remove it to get a better bond.

This was when using two part epoxy

Edited by MonteSS

I fish my lures on lake of the woods using etex also.  Unfortunately not much you can do to prevent the chips unless you switch to a harder clear coat like kbs.  I coat my lures 2 times and 3- 4 times for muskie and pike baits.  48 hours apart no sanding.  I find this develops multiple layers, any less then 48 it becomes one coat.     

Edited by Centigrade

18 hours ago, Centigrade said:

I fish my lures on lake of the woods using etex also.  Unfortunately not much you can do to prevent the chips unless you switch to a harder clear coat like kbs.  I coat my lures 2 times and 3- 4 times for muskie and pike baits.  48 hours apart no sanding.  I find this develops multiple layers, any less then 48 it becomes one coat.     

Wouldn't multiple thin layers be more prone to chipping than the one thick layer you achieve by recoating within 24 hours?  I was told by an Etex tech that no sanding was needed between coats only if recoated within 24 hours.  Longer than that, and she said it was important to scuff the surface and then wipe down with alcohol before applying another coat.

It all depends on what you preffer I guess.   Etex is softer then other clears so it's good for smashing rocks but not so good with pike teeth.    I have done hot coats 12-24 hours in between and they become one coat.  I've done coats with no sanding 48-60 hours apart and achieved multiple thin layers.  Personally I preffer the multiple layers flexabilty opposed to one thick layer.  After a few dozen  pike your bait will be trashed anyway thick or thin.