Van1707

Tube Bait Mold making

Hi guys

I wanted to find out if there is already a thread on this or if you guys could help me out with some advise. I got asked the question by a friend of mine, he wants me to make a mold for him for a certain tube bait, now give me any other plastic to make a mold of and I can do it, but I have no idea how to make a tube bait mold, how would I get it to be hollow inside? Any advise guys or maybe point me in the right direction?

Molding them would be tricky, but not impossible. 

MonteeSS is giving you the "normal" method, and once you dip them you would cut the tails free.

You could mold Sculpy on an aluminum rod, make a mold of it, leave lots of air vents at the thin tails, pour from the head, then cut the tails free.

I have seen an injection mold that had the tails already split, but I don't remember where.

Look for a injection tube mold and look for the "Spline" that comes with it.... there is altleast 1 vendor that sells it.... The spline is basically a rod with groves machined into the end - goes between the mold halves so you can mold the legs and have an empty cavity using injection..... The spline looks just like the end of an axle.

To make your own mold - you could form the upper portion custom to you - and just "graft" the design to use the correct diameter at the leg/body intersection to use the spline to form the "legs".

Hope this makes sense... once you see the mold/part you'll get it.

J.

Edited by SlowFISH

On 10/11/2017 at 8:51 PM, Roger Linnell said:

This is one of my tube molds, pour the hot plastic in, let it cool a few seconds and pour the plastic out, it's all timing. The tube on the left came out of that mold

20131122_144127_zpsaa4eba51.jpg

IMG_20120820_182704_zps13ea02a4.jpg

Gotta say this is just a really cool way of doing it... would have never thought of trying something like this... super simple yet totally effective... nice job!

J.

If you look closely, you can see the tops of the tubes recessed a bit down in the openings, I also made a mold using Sharpies for the cavities, they were pulled out of the mold after it dried, then the mold was sealed, look at the center bait in the picture, and big tube mold was made with plastic test tubes, they were removed too