Time Bandit

Number of strands in a skirt

This seems like a really elementary question, but when you guys say, for instance, "I have 50 strands in my jig skirts," are you saying that you're putting five tabs of 10 strands in there, or are you putting 2.5 tabs of 10 strands in there and there end up being 50 strands once the skirt is doubled over on the jig, if that makes sense?

6 minutes ago, Time Bandit said:

This seems like a really elementary question, but when you guys say, for instance, "I have 50 strands in my jig skirts," are you saying that you're putting five tabs of 10 strands in there, or are you putting 2.5 tabs of 10 strands in there and there end up being 50 strands once the skirt is doubled over on the jig, if that makes sense?

1 tab has 22 strands . A lot of jigs are two tabs(44 strands) but it depends on how bulky you want it.  Most of the ones I tie are 44 - 55 with some of those 44 - 55 being hi-lite colors.

Of course, you have just noticed that the thickness of the strands makes a huge difference.  I have "tabs" an I have "rolls" and I have ........ all obtained since the early 80's till now.

55 strands of today's material is pretty common, 55 strands of the material from the 80's would have been super bulky.

So, like restedhook says, it depends on how bulky you want it.