tablerocktackle

jig hook, 28 or 30 degree, flat eye, size 5/0

There is only 1 that I know of and it is probably what you already mentioned. The Eagle Claw 2546, it comes in a 4/0 and is heavy wire, is there a reason you eliminated that one?  Truth be told there isn't many regular eye jig hooks with a 30 degree bend so a flat eye is probably going to be harder to find, if it is even made but there is a way to get one if you have the coin. The last I checked, Mustad would do a custom hook with a 10,000 minimum plus tooling costs but I'm thinking that isn't something you want to do.

I would contact the place you found them and ask for a sample of the 2546 in a 4/0 size. I say that because Eagle Claw has different sizing options for different hooks.  I have some hooks that are now discontinued but I think they are great, they are an Eagle Claw 3014 60 degree flat eye with a extra wide gap (EWG) bend and the 1/0 is about the size of a 4/0 Mustad 32798 and the 3/0 was about the size of a 6/0 hook. I don't know how they came up with that sizing but they did, so give the vendor a shout and see about getting a sample of that hook, it may be plenty big enough for your needs or it may not but at least you'll know for sure.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:51 AM, tablerocktackle said:

Size primarily but I have not had good experiences with Eagle Claw.  Thanks,  Michael 

Just so you know, Eagle Claw still has the cheap bronze hooks that are horrible but the laser sharp black platinum hooks are better than Mustad and VMC. I don't know the last time you used an Eagle Claw or if you have used any of the black platinum laser sharp hooks but if it wasn't recently you may end up pleasantly surprised.

Mustad has one I really like and use as a swimbait and buzzfrog hook.  I'll look up the number and post it later when I wander out to the shop.   Its got a shorter barb area than the EC.  It means I get fewer misses, but it also means if I let a fish tail walk I may lose it more often if bait is heavy enough to swing the hook.   I try really hard not to let any fish tail walk if I can.

I'm playing with the idea of designing a wide low angle skipping jig with this hook as well. 

Edited by CNC Molds N Stuff