Ok, ive been building balsa wood lures for 3 years now and have come across several topics involving propionate sealer. Th issue i am having is 1) determining what type of propionate (cellulose propionate, cellulose acetate propionate, etc...) & 2) where to get this stuff. This stuff is hard to find!! I am asking for help to locate this stuff! Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Try putting propionate in the search box at the bottom of the More tab menu in the upper right hand corner of this forum page, if you haven't already tried.

I am a one-off hobby builder, so my methods aren't for mass producing baits.

I use runny super glue to seal my balsa baits, two coats applied with my finger.  It penetrates, locks the grain, makes the bait's surface harder/stronger, and I can paint over it, once it's sanded smooth.

I'm sure there are lots of other methods, but that is the one that works for me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zambini Bait Co said:

Hey Mark, thanks for the reply. I am mainly looking for this stuff not only to seal the lure, but also give me a smooth base to paint off of. I do this now using epoxy but its a long and tedious process. Just trying to find something i can “dip & hang” instead of having to paint on with a brush as with epoxy. 

BobP here makes balsa baits, and he sometimes uses Solarez UV resin to seal.  I've used it as a top coat, but never tried it as a sealer.  It is much thicker than super glue, so it might give you a one coat paintable surface.

• Thanks 1