aulrich

Powder coating jigging spoons

I am starting to play with powder coating jigging spoons , I am having difficulty getting a smooth consistent coverage.  I think in general a fluid bed might be out of the question just because of the size. The lure are fairly long. The closest I have been able to get is doing this.

1. Heat a batch (4-5) to 150
  2. Using a dry paint brush tap paint onto the jig
  3. Hang and bake as a batch

I am guessing the standard rule 2 light coats are better than one heavy, if so how do you deal with multiple coats.

I have a powder airbrush (once I get a converter so I can attach it to the compressor) should I have the jigs hot enough that the pain starts to melt on contact.

For reference I am powder coating the do-it flutter jig ¼-1, shad ¾-1.5 , 4 oz and 6 oz shad

I do jigs up to 10 and 1/2 inches long in a fluid bed no problem.

My 2"pvc cups are 12" tall and fluidize just fine.

I use a 30/60 aquarium pump from Walmart to do 2 of these fluid beds at once.

Less paint waste than the powder airbrush.

I do use two powder airbrushes to add accent colors.

My longest jigs are ~10.5" long and 25oz.

I have also done bullet heads up to 48oz in a 3" wide fluid bed no problem.

I heat mine in the toaster oven and dip using custom hook tools I made.

Those tiny jigs should be easy. Just build taller cups.

Edited by Kasilofchrisn

1 hour ago, aulrich said:

Up till now I had not had lots of luck with a fluid bed ,  and until I found the automotive powder suppliers  filling a tall fluid bed was out of the question cost wise.

Check out Cadmans custom jigs!

Although limited in color selections he beats anybodys prices and the powder is great. You can get a pound of powder for what many places charge for a 2oz jar of ProTec powder.

It's all I use for my white base coat.

I buy several pounds at a time.

For a great lasting finish powder paint is hard to beat.

Thanks I will, I do have the "shipping to Canada" complication but powder should not be an issue. 

I am thinking  that I will only really need big volumes of white , chrome and maybe black.

The idea is that I would do a base coat, then a highlight or powder,  tape or the vinyl 

18 minutes ago, aulrich said:

Thanks I will, I do have the "shipping to Canada" complication but powder should not be an issue. 

I am thinking  that I will only really need big volumes of white , chrome and maybe black.

The idea is that I would do a base coat, then a highlight or powder,  tape or the vinyl 

Does chrome powder coat paint really produce a shiny chrome finish?

Reasonably shiny with the powder I have, but that was the first color I tried and it was on bare lead, so I think there is room for improvement. from a procedure point of view.  Eastwood Chrome powder looks very interesting.

I stuck my nose in on Cadman's site and I guess I will have to add a pound of clear to the list , I know there are some multi color pearl powders that should work great .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aulrich said:

Reasonably shiny with the powder I have, but that was the first color I tried and it was on bare lead, so I think there is room for improvement. from a procedure point of view.  Eastwood Chrome powder looks very interesting.

I stuck my nose in on Cadman's site and I guess I will have to add a pound of clear to the list , I know there are some multi color pearl powders that should work great .

Thanks.