Kscatman76

New guy and now scared to death??

So I decided yesterday I wanted to just reheat and reuse plastics that me and my buddies use.  I have 2 open pour molds coming, one is a sweet beaver and one is a skinny dipper.  Figured I would just use these for trailers and it would be easy and fun and a good way to keep baits out of the trash.  THEN I get on this thread and read the do's and don't for newbies and it scared the living crap out of me.  This sounded like fun, now it sounds crazy dangerous?  I was just gonna get a microwave and a pyrex cup and go at it now I'm concerned about ventilation (it would be in the garage with a fan), the cup exploding, the plastic burning, the plastic burning me etc etc.  I've been pouring lead jigs for 20 years and have done tons but wanted to venture into this for some fun but this sounds scary?? 

• Like 1

Just use the same safety precautions you follow when you pour lead and you should be fine.

Pyrex "explodes" when it's set on a cold surface after heating, so put a piece of plywood down to set your cup on.  It is very rare for a cup to shatter just from heating, but it happens.  I use NorPro silicone cups instead of Pyrex.  They are flexible, so they can't shatter.

Go slowly, and do some dry runs first, so you're not rushing when your plastic's hot because you forgot a step.

Put u a fan in the window build a bench that the microwave can set on under the fan or beside it. Don't use the microwave that u eat from long sleeves and long pants, gloves, respirator, glasses. These are the same thing u should use with lead. Make sure no hooks in baits and the baits are plastic not gulp. Cub48

I have been pouring plastics for 12 years or so. I would tell you not to worry. The process itself is simple. Just wear gloves/ long sleeve shirt and some old pants you don't care about.  Cover up your skin and have proper ventilation for the fumes and you are good to go. Just go slow, anytime I have burned myself In the past or came close to it was by me getting ahead of myself  and going fast and knocking something over etc.