Sudd

Clear Coat for lacquer painted baits

6 hours ago, Sudd said:

So Bob you think the KBS would be a better choice? This is something I'm having to experiment with. And it gets expensive. I want one that is durable and glossy. I can't brush epoxies cause of the amount of baits I have to make at times. I just want to find one I can start using and keep using.

I  bought some KBS  two months ago, but haven't used it yet, because it's too cold to dip outside, and I don't want to try it indoors.

If you're dipping a lot of baits, I don't think storage will be as much of an issue as it is for those of us who only dip one or two, because you'll probably use it up long before it goes bad.

I bought a quart, and 4 oz of their thinner, plus a spray can of bloxygen.  I decanted it into a mason jar, sprayed the bloxygen against the inside of the jar for two seconds, and then sealed the lid, with a layer of plastic from a baggie over the jar's mouth, to keep it from sealing itself.

Why not do the same?  Buy a quart, the thinner, and the bloxygen, and do some testing.  I know it's hard to spend money on a "may work", but the people here on TU who have given you advice are pretty smart, very experienced, and worth believing.

I'm not saying there won't be a learning curve.  I've had my KBS for two months, and just screwed up the courage to decant it.  It's a good think I didn't wait much longer, because the lid was a bear to get off the can.

But you'll have a learning curve with whatever you wind up using.

You have already got your baits built and painted.  That's the hardest part,

You can do this.  Take a shot!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

I  bought some KBS  two months ago, but haven't used it yet, because it's too cold to dip outside, and I don't want to try it indoors.

If you're dipping a lot of baits, I don't think storage will be as much of an issue as it is for those of us who only dip one or two, because you'll probably use it up long before it goes bad.

I bought a quart, and 4 oz of their thinner, plus a spray can of bloxygen.  I decanted it into a mason jar, sprayed the bloxygen against the inside of the jar for two seconds, and then sealed the lid, with a layer of plastic from a baggie over the jar's mouth, to keep it from sealing itself.

Why not do the same?  Buy a quart, the thinner, and the bloxygen, and do some testing.  I know it's hard to spend money on a "may work", but the people here on TU who have given you advice are pretty smart, very experienced, and worth believing.

I'm not saying there won't be a learning curve.  I've had my KBS for two months, and just screwed up the courage to decant it.  It's a good think I didn't wait much longer, because the lid was a bear to get off the can.

But you'll have a learning curve with whatever you wind up using.

You have already got your baits built and painted.  That's the hardest part,

You can do this.  Take a shot!

Ok Thanks, I just ordered 4oz of clear and the small bottle of thinner from KBS. I got the small 4oz can so I could just try it that way won't be any left after testing it. I have full quart jars of some clears sitting cause I can't use them.  Now if this stuff works then I can purchase the bigger quantities. Hopefully this is what I'm looking for and I can stop the experimenting and stay with the KBS diamond clear.

1 hour ago, Sudd said:

Ok Thanks, I just ordered 4oz of clear and the small bottle of thinner from KBS. I got the small 4oz can so I could just try it that way won't be any left after testing it. I have full quart jars of some clears sitting cause I can't use them.  Now if this stuff works then I can purchase the bigger quantities. Hopefully this is what I'm looking for and I can stop the experimenting and stay with the KBS diamond clear.

Just be sure to make a small enough test piece that you can dip it into the 4 oz bottle.

Paint up a dowel, or a pencil, something that you can dip.

I've been told the stuff has fumes, so be sure to use ventilation, and be careful.

I think the directions say it needs to cure for four days,or something like that.  Whatever it says, follow those directions, so you'll really know how that stuff works.

On 1/8/2018 at 12:40 AM, mark poulson said:

Just be sure to make a small enough test piece that you can dip it into the 4 oz bottle.

Paint up a dowel, or a pencil, something that you can dip.

I've been told the stuff has fumes, so be sure to use ventilation, and be careful.

I think the directions say it needs to cure for four days,or something like that.  Whatever it says, follow those directions, so you'll really know how that stuff works.

I'm wondering if I would come out better with the aerosol can, and spray it on? It would be cheaper plus you wouldn't have the storage issue to worry about. What would be the advantage of dipping and hanging over the spray can and hanging?

1 hour ago, Hughesy said:

Dipping is faster and better uniformed coverage. No waste. I have not had a problem with storage. You may get a skim coat on top but it is very easy to remove. Just try it!

Thanks, I'm supposed to get 4oz in mail today to try it out. 

• Like 1

In addition to fast uniform coverage with dipping, you don’t have the problem of creating wasteful clouds of poisonous fumes that aerosol sprays will produce and which you need advanced breathing and vent systems to protect yourself from.

• Like 1

I got my KBS, I only got 4oz to try before I get a bigger one. I did manage to get one dipped in the small can and I sealed can right back up after I dipped and hung. Gonna let dry overnight and see what one coat looks like to see if I need to dip twice. It's just hard to dip in 4oz!

40 minutes ago, Sudd said:

I got my KBS, I only got 4oz to try before I get a bigger one. I did manage to get one dipped in the small can and I sealed can right back up after I dipped and hung. Gonna let dry overnight and see what one coat looks like to see if I need to dip twice. It's just hard to dip in 4oz!

LOL, but you know we want to see how it looks in the end.

• Like 1

I buy a tall skinny glass, like a 6 inch shot glass. Holds like 3 oz or so. When I'm done dipping, I cover the top with clear plastic wrap and secure it with a rubber band. After a week or 2, I get a very thin skim coat at the surface which is very easy to remove and start dipping again. Your 4 oz can will fill it up

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hughesy said:

I buy a tall skinny glass, like a 6 inch shot glass. Holds like 3 oz or so. When I'm done dipping, I cover the top with clear plastic wrap and secure it with a rubber band. After a week or 2, I get a very thin skim coat at the surface which is very easy to remove and start dipping again. Your 4 oz can will fill it up

Ok Yeah I thought about trying to find a skinny glass container that's just big enough to put the bait down in. I want to use this 4oz up before I purchase a bigger can of it.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2018 at 4:02 PM, Anglinarcher said:

LOL, but you know we want to see how it looks in the end.

Here is one I made for myself and i used it to test the KBS. I must say it is some good stuff! This is just one coat. I dipped it one more time to see if there are much difference. I may only need to use one coat but we will see.

20180111_132950.jpg

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Anglinarcher said:

Pictures can lie, but one looks great to me in the picture.  Are there any thin spots?

If we were doing a Pike, Musike, Tiger or Wolf fish, then two would be great, but most Bass don't have that big of teeth.  <_<

It looks just that good if not better

Dip then wait one hour and dip again.  This seems to be the best for me. I would recommend cleaning any eyes/holes you want open while still wet. If you keep the storage container as close to full as possible, it will have a longer shelf life. One last thing, after bait has hung for 5 mins or so take a brush and absorb the drip at the bottom. This is a good time to clear eyes/holes.

• Thanks 1

I think 2 coats are prefered by most of us on this site, but most commercial baits by the big names would probably only use 1 for cost and economics.  

But, I think I know you a little now, and you won't be happy without providing the very best you can.

Well done Sudd, Well done.

• Like 1

If you hang it by the nose, and put a piece of wire in the tail eyelet, the drip will go down the wire and the eye will not clog. Also with a smooth bait, one coat may look good. But the protection won't be as good. You will really see that when you coat a bait with a deep scale texture. You can still feel the scale texture through one coat.  

6 minutes ago, Chuck Young said:

If you hang it by the nose, and put a piece of wire in the tail eyelet, the drip will go down the wire and the eye will not clog. Also with a smooth bait, one coat may look good. But the protection won't be as good. You will really see that when you coat a bait with a deep scale texture. You can still feel the scale texture through one coat.  

Yeah I was wondering what I could do to keep my hook hangers clean from clogging.

On 1/11/2018 at 4:17 PM, Sudd said:

Here is one I made for myself and i used it to test the KBS. I must say it is some good stuff! This is just one coat. I dipped it one more time to see if there are much difference. I may only need to use one coat but we will see.

20180111_132950.jpg

Did you make that bait? 

Edited by bladesandbaits
Mispelled