Sudd

Epoxies for top coat

Is there a crack proof topcoat?  Don’t think so.  You basically have 3 epoxy choices.  Decoupage/bar top epoxies like Envirotex Lite.  Maybe a bit more flexible than others.  Contains a solvent so is much thinner and cures slower than others.  Usually requires multiple coats.  Cheapest per volume.  Glue type epoxies like Devcon Two Ton.  Cures faster, goes on thicker, one coat coverage.  No solvent unless you add it.  Rod guide epoxies like Flexcoat.  More expensive, contains some solvent but less than Envirotex, some have UV inhibitors at extra cost.  Yet another epoxy is Bob Smith Industries 20 or 30 min epoxy.  Not sure how to categorize it but it’s popular too.

Each of these has fans.  Each epoxy has idiosynchronies in how best to apply and cure it.  It’s a learning process.  I learned epoxy with Devcon and it’s still my choice when I want to use epoxy, not least because I’ve got it down pat and never screw it up anymore.  If I were building baits in a production setting, I’d probably use either moisture cured urethane like KBS Diamond Coat or a UV cured polyester resin like Alumi-UV.  Both are tougher than epoxy on a per-coating-thickness basis and are less prone to UV yellowing. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Musky Glenn said:

Bob Smith is very similar to d2t.  I can't tell the difference except easier to find. Good luck. Do you need a clear coat over lacquer? I thought they were self sealing.

Yes a clear over lacquer. For shine and protection of the paint

Not many hobby builders use catalyzed auto clears due to the toxicity and the need to  employ an exhaust system and a solvent rated breathing mask.  It’s a good alternative for production builders who can afford the setup.  There’s a reason you see auto painters outfitted in tyvek space suits and full head hoods.  Isocyanates. 

Wow I tried brushing lacquer today as a clear coat and my paint started coming off!! Can't use that stuff! Looks like I may just start using d2t and put it on with a brush and let hang dry. This is business production so I have to use something good but not real expensive.