fishon-son

3d printed lures

Well I made a mistake. Cost is $.97 for entire frog. See stats in upper left hand corner. Its hard to see but

Build time: 1 hour 59 minutes

Filament length: 6999.7 mm

Plastic weight: 21.05 g (0.05 lb)

Material cost: 0.97

59ed39de479b9_simplify3D.thumb.JPG.c4001e1bd64ba0392f62b5f35d22fd7a.JPG

Edited by Hughesy

Well third time's a charm. I got to thinking about the 97 cents for the filament to make the frog and it just didn't seem right. The 97 cents was the amount the printing program came up with BUT, it took 7 meters of filament to print the frog. There is 400 meters on one roll of filament (1KG)  which cost $20. So, that means I could print 57 frogs on one spool. $20 divided by 57 = .35 each. Sorry for all of the screw ups. I just thought the program was right but it must use a different cost on the filament. So total cost to print the frog is definitely 35 cents.

Edited by Hughesy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If your looking for a 3D printer, start with Maker Bot, Up Mini2, Dremel digilab. I've been printing all my stuff out on a UpMini as it has cheap filament and doesn't put me out 10$ to print a few blanks. There are a few very large high def. Printers in the lab I have access to however the filament is a little over 200$ a roll, which comes down to about 5$ a cubic inch of material. Can't remember the name but these are definitely out of most hobbyist comfort zone on $$. There's also a brand I saw on YouTube that is kind of a diy hobbyist kit in very large to small sizes of printer. I believe the smallest was 300 something. 

Filament can range in price based on printer so pay attention to that.  PLA imho is not strong enough for bills however works for body material. I have printed most of my recent blanks from ABS as I feel it will hold up better and is a little more versatile. It Can be cleaned up with acetone vapor bath, etc. Definitely do some shopping if your looking to get one, and do a lot of research on quality.