basscatlildave

Plastisol

Both above are correct.  If sealed and unopened, it will not get moisture.  I just put mine in my vacuum chamber and remove any air and moisture in a couple of minutes.

Hand packing on the bottom is also a problem, so I remove the top and use a stir rod on a drill when I need to.

1 hour ago, smallmouthaholic said:

My experience w/ hard packing

1- MF - does not happen-PERIOD!

2- Chemionics- separates but no  serious hard packing- easily stirred

3-Spike-it-minor hard packing over time- easily stirred

4-Lurecraft- hard packs like concrete!

Do you know why some brands don't hare pack, while others do?

Not one for disagreeing normally, but........

I have a bottle of MF now that I have never opened, at least 3, maybe 4 years old, and it is hard packed.

I kept it to do a video of it, planned on removing the label because I don't want to badmouth a brand.  All do it to some extent.  I still believe I can "resurrect" it with a proper stirring.

Science says it will all settle eventually.  Some use chemicals to aid in suspension, some do not. Some plastic is so thin ie low viscosity no matter what you do it will settle eventually. Regardless of container, eventually it will absorb moisture unsealed unopened or what not.

14 hours ago, smallmouthaholic said:

My experience w/ hard packing

1- MF - does not happen-PERIOD!

2- Chemionics- separates but no  serious hard packing- easily stirred

3-Spike-it-minor hard packing over time- easily stirred

4-Lurecraft- hard packs like concrete!

Not familiar with 2 or 3, but completely agree on 1 and 4.  Then again, like Anglin mentioned, I never let an MF jug sit for 3 or 4 years.  Just a little shaking of the jug before pouring and I was good to go.  And to be honest, I don't even know it THAT was necessary. 

I had not planed on letting the MF set so long.  I moved once and when I moved I misplaced the jug.  It set in a storage tote for that time, and when I moved again I found it.

I am not at all concerned about the fact it settled, and how "hard" it packed will be determined later when I stir.  Letting it set that long was almost a crime.

My intent now is to show others that plastisol can settle/hard pack.  It answers the question we so often get on the site "why is my soft bait so sticky".

As an after thought, you know about 30 years ago I got a package of baits from Bass Pro that was "sticky" and super soft.  They quickly replaced them, but their supplier must have forgotten to stir as well.  LOL

23 minutes ago, Anglinarcher said:

As an after thought, you know about 30 years ago I got a package of baits from Bass Pro that was "sticky" and super soft.  They quickly replaced them, but their supplier must have forgotten to stir as well.  LOL

:D

I once bought a 5-gallon jug of Lure Craft from a guy who said it was sitting for like 20 years.  Let's just say I believed it! 

33 minutes ago, Anglinarcher said:

I had not planed on letting the MF set so long.  I moved once and when I moved I misplaced the jug.  It set in a storage tote for that time, and when I moved again I found it.

I am not at all concerned about the fact it settled, and how "hard" it packed will be determined later when I stir.  Letting it set that long was almost a crime.

My intent now is to show others that plastisol can settle/hard pack.  It answers the question we so often get on the site "why is my soft bait so sticky".

Usually what happens is the material doesnt get stirred enough, and then they work off the top getting super soft and sticky baits, since the softest plastic resides at the top, Then the whole batch is off, generally harder as they go.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Baitjunkys said:

Usually what happens is the material doesnt get stirred enough, and then they work off the top getting super soft and sticky baits, since the softest plastic resides at the top, Then the whole batch is off, generally harder as they go.

Oh man have I made that mistake!  lol

Buying hardener to make up for screwing up the batch, then adding too much hardener, then adding softener......until you just give up and buy an entirely new batch. 

• Like 2