spbubba

SWIMBAIT

I have the larger 5" injection mold from the Ukraine(?) and the 3" open pour from LurePartsOnline.

I use Bait Junky's medium plastic, and add a teaspoon of hardener to a half cup of plastic to get the plastic hard enough.  I also add a tblsp. of salt, for flavor.

Using straight medium plastic makes them too soft, and the tail trashes instead of wiggling like on the original Keitechs.

I don't have hard plastic, or I would use it instead.

I have the basstackle version (639, 631 and 643). I use either Bait Junkies soft or MF Manufacturing super soft for the 2.5 and 3.75 inch models and medium plastic for the 5 inch. No salt in my baits. I prefer them to be soft enough that the tail will have a wide kick while falling on a weightless Texas rig. Deadly for bass around here!

Not trying to hijack but I've been considering the Basstackle ringed swimbait mold and now I'm confused. Two different ideas above on what plastic to use. I live way up north and can't really test until the spring so I'd love to know what plastic to use as well. I'm going to put mine on the back of a swimjig. Thoughts?

Funny how that works.  I have some soft baits of my own creation that I vary the amount of salt or the hardness of the plastic for specific purposes.  That is a benefit of pouring your own.

Far too often we think there there is only one way to do it but in reality it is a matter of personal preference.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anglinarcher said:

Funny how that works.  I have some soft baits of my own creation that I vary the amount of salt or the hardness of the plastic for specific purposes.  That is a benefit of pouring your own.

Far too often we think there there is only one way to do it but in reality it is a matter of personal preference.

In the summer, when the water is warmer and the fish are more active, softer tails get bit more.  But in the spring and fall, the harder tails seem to work better, as well as when they are used as chatterbait trailers.