MT204

Hairy, marabou spinner bits?

There are a few reasons you don't see a lot of spinnerbaits dressed with hair. The biggest reason is it is time consuming to tie hair on the bait rather than just sliding a skirt on or even wire tying a skirt. The second reason, and this is just my opinion, is that the spinnerbait is a fast moving bait that generates reaction strikes, hair has a more subtle and fluid action which is really good for slow moving lures like jigs. I also think that the bulkier profile of silicone and rubber is better in stained water but that doesn't mean a hair dressed spinnerbait won't work, they do just fine. I've made baits with bucktail and some with craft fur and I can tell you that while they did work, I haven't found a time or place that the hair dressed bait worked better than the silicone and rubber skirted bait didn't work as well.  Now you need to remember that this is just my experience, there are some spinnerbaits on the market tied with hair and they may be excellent, in my waters with the way I use a spinnerbait , I don't use a trailer and I tend to fish them fast and I do slow roll but that seems to work better in dirty water or when the water is cold.

• Like 1