tarponchaser305

Saltwater Twitchbaits

Hello all I am quite new to this!  I would be grateful for any comments on my plan.

My intention is to create heavy/sinking twitch baits for Tarpon and Snook.  The baits I am trying to mimic are Mirrolures and Bagley Mullets.

From what I have learned to so far, my plan is as follows.

1- Create a two piece mold using synthetic clay an d Alumilite high strength 2.  

2- Create a through wire body with weight attached.  I will use Brass Wire and the lure will consist of line slot, belly hook and tail hook.  

3- Cast lue using RC-3 Black as this is the color I am looking for

4- Sand and coat with Alumi UV

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Do I need to use Microballoons as it will be  a sinking lure?

With the weight being attached on the through wire - would it be best for it to be added infront/behind or on both sides of the belly hook.

Many thanks any help would be greatly apprecaited

Materials will be good, do not need Microballons.

The location of the weight/ballast is the hardest part of any process.  I would suggest not using any ballast on the first pour, drop it into a tank and see how it sinks, with the through wire and hooks in place. 

Now drill in and place some weight to get it to fall horizontally, or a little nose down (glide a little better), or nose a little nose up (more of a slap type bait).   Once you get the fall and resulting action the way you want, then place the weight on the through wire in those locations.

I hope this helps some.

PS, welcome to the site.

• Like 1