tarponchaser305

Bagley Shiner/Pinfish

I would first make a mold using Alumilite HS2.  You can find tutorials on YouTube or on

http://www.makelure.com/store/pg/54-How-To-Videos.aspx

Next I would use the Archimedes Dunk Test as found on this link.  Remove the hooks, line tie, and hanger if possible for the this step.

Now you have the information you need to start.  Assuming it is balsa, the dunk test will you to calculate the volume of the lure, so you can calculate the approximate ballast weight by subtracting the weight that the volume of balsa should be from the total weight. 

I would mix a small amount of  Alumilite white with some microballons (makes it stick to the sides of the mold better) and rotomold (by hand) to get a shell.  I would then add my ballast amount while the Alumilite White is still not cured so the ballast would sink and stick low in the mold.  Then fill the remainder with Alumilite 610 foam.  It will hold hooks better then Balsa.

You can actually pour the mold with just Alumilite 610 foam, drill out the ballast location, add the ballast.  It will hold hooks  as well as Balsa.  Of course, as long as you account for the weight of internal wiring, often used on Balsa, you can add that as well.  I think the bigger Bagley's had internal hook hangers.

Hope this helps.  It sounds hard, but it is easy.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:39 PM, tarponchaser305 said:

Is anyone familiar with these wonderful lures?   Anyone ever had any success reproducing them?

There are blanks out there from the original plant there in Winterhaven, I  know a guy who has them , if you are interested in painting some up for your personal use I  can give you his name , I am sure he would sell them since he has asked me more than once about me buying them...

• Like 1