ddl

gold and silver paint

Silver test. Createx pearl silver, Golden irridescent silver, Auto air Flair silver spectrum.

Createx most metallic/pearl effect
Golden most true silver color and most reflective
Auto air not much effect over white.

The Auto air flair works really well over dark colors (black) and has a sparkly holographic effect in the sun. Does turn lil more grey after clear

DSCN3692.JPG

DSCN3693.JPG

Edited by MonteSS
  • Like 2

thanks a lot for sharing these picts and of course  for taking the time to make that test.i really like golden co.i have just one bottle from them and i'l be happy to buy more because imho it's more  user  friendly than any createx product i have so far

cheers!

3 hours ago, FishCandy said:

I just received this stuff in the mail. It uses a uv cure clear coat. I'm going to try it on some buck tails as soon as the uv resin arrives. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XFBH8FL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not personally pleased with the pictures above, so I sure hope the nail stuff works out.   Please let us know.

Tried most paints and have come to the same conclusion as ''Anglinarcher'' gold / silver leaf is the way to go, for me it has a very natural sheen, not overly glossy-

I have spent months / years even,  trying to work out the best / appropriate finish for ''leaf'' in a water environment and it has come down to (again ) EPOXY seems to win hands down, most other finishes come up well but don't stick like resins,  in the long term .

Here is some examples, 3'' to 4''

3'' body dark  ''Rainbow''

7Cm Rainbow 1.jpg

3.5'' body w / silver leaf pressure line

P1020761.thumb.JPG.39d186313dc9c329ff12bdf2f6de36ea.JPG

3.5'' body--copper/silver5a379878a6d86_Copperleaf.JPG.f8c717ca3ab30f683d47715972c08253.JPG

4'' body- Silver /Red  & Brown Trout

5a37990215674_MoreLeaf.JPG.5b1bd7b4f439a25910adec33a8ef73dc.JPG

Pete

Edited by hazmail
Add Pictures
  • Like 2

Ok, further experimenting with the nail products did produce a really nice chrome effect. The trick is multiple layers. First layer was a dip of Solarez, next the powder, and so on. There is a major problem, though. I specifically wanted to use this on ultra minnow, (spro type), jig heads. The alternating layers of Solarez and powder completely overwhelms the details molded into the body. It took five layers of Solarez and four layers of powder to visually fill in spaces between individual sparkles to the point where it looked like one solid surface. In hindsight, it makes sense. I think the whole thing depends on a completely smooth surface in order to achieve the proper light reflection.  Any breaks in the surface completely disrupts the effect. I can see using this on a hard bait by using a mask to apply silver sides, then applying a water slide decal with a transparent scale pattern on top, and a final coat or two of epoxy. I think epoxy layers could also take the place of the Solarez, but of course with the added drying time. 

From top to bottom: The red jig is the five layer jig. Next one down was Solarez for first layer, with two more alternating powder and Solarez. Third one down is one layer of powder first, followed by Solarez. Last one is black magic marker with powder directly on top of it, then Solarez, followed by powder and Solarez again. These were all fresh jigs, still shiny from the mold. The bottom one is powder coated with a mini sand blaster gun, for comparison. 

D5tpLGXlJicp-f9xVXeo5oK-vdtn8_y_OowMkyM1

From top to bottom: The red jig is the five layer jig. Next one down was Solarez for first layer, with two more alternating powder and Solarez. Third one down is one layer of powder first, followed by Solarez. Last one is black magic marker with powder directly on top of it, then Solarez, followed by powder and Solarez again. These were all fresh jigs, still shiny from the mold. The bottom one is powder coated with a mini sand blaster gun, for comparison. 

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/qtR1Mv86e6vNy5eyAf-qhjEvttxc5UR2OoA12uRHxep9tMlQncLgsZJb3pcwvmI0s-uavadCdDRDNWkUAjUWJyWqtssZFFmVvRCTV3JtuL5ny7E1xJDSuAydbSru2j7bIaqMvSl-C2Isr3flX5qGKTL237oB4l4_myz7nU_bblf6mR9_gOQSdxRKl6BREHgDbc3SD4HU22_I2HWZ064XnZleeHGi7QuHlUwihtXRT8Y2r4M8eZOjtManL7IcCPvhoJnJnqdtaSNWtXDeu6sp_jK2x0SNqQZmBUrtsPRk6s8Y3MEgSSe5xTBI6sHajf8qguAZFEoFQ6ltXSWBc7kyHxIsY1muSLjB1bcGMPB5z5WufZ1UcOIzYcSmOyRAyMVv24BrQ5plAJrS0Kc1h4pa-771LhTH8nia4YfkCJCUS_N-Gm_bI0gv5P9bzIeztmocs02voWysZgTbczbOk1umHScQ-vRpk5pygKihbdZBJMxVcPiVF30jxvIlaCLpz0CVcTL_J2lcVmtX3ZKQMVInReqKma7XN-82GWv_ft9f5xrxyXZckS5_2tBa-Q6DFDOp4s_SW26gTnmpfpkm_NdnMciRFfwBOsekFrMCCrs=w929-h1238-no

Very interesting.  The second one has potential.

When I was researching the following I found that they suggested that you coat the nail first to make it smooth (Solarez would be great), then using the applicator to apply.  This link says to keep applying until you get the results you want, but other links to the same one says to use the applicator to "burnish" the additional coats to get the chrome.

Have you tried that?

https://www.amazon.com/Mirror-Powder-Effect-Pigment-XUANOU/dp/B075RS6Z4D/ref=sr_1_9?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1513133757&sr=1-9&keywords=chrome+powder+coat

"You need to put a bit of pressure on it in order to make sure it's burnished in really well. Brush off the excess. If the surface sparkles it means you didn't press hard enough."

Edited by Anglinarcher
Added quote

I didn't see that, but I did hit on it by the time I tried the red one. I just didn't hit on it early enough to maybe minimize the layers. In my particular application, I want the primary coat of Solarez to be as thin as possible. Then powder and burnish, and one last coat of Solarez. I'll try again tomorrow and post result.