Hillbilly voodoo

Airplane jigs

So it's getting close to ice fishing season so thoughts are drifting in that direction 

I have an idea for an airplane style jig for lake trout in my head. It would not be solid lead but instead lead would be covered with a resin body. Because of the cost and hassle of making two molds I want to increase the odds of getting it right without my normal trial and error method 

it is the wing size vs weight that concerns me. Wondering how picky wing size is to achieve the classic spiral glide with an airplane jig?

any experience or info would be helpful but worst case I resort to the screw up a few times before I get it right method lol

this is an airplane jig there are a few different styles but it is the wings in the front that cause it to glide/spiral when it drops

Comonly used ice fishing here in Canada but have had success open water vertical jigging and even casting. I have had success with a number of trout species, pike,crappie,walleye, and bass

What I have in mind would have a better baitfish appearance, few other perks and also want to make some larger/heavier than available on the market. Better suited for deep water fishing for large lake trout and plan to test in saltwater for lingcod and rockfish  

basically want to apply the glide/spiral action to what in my opinion would be a superior jig  

IMG_0006.PNG

1 hour ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

Normally they are basically all lead

the design in my head would be a resin body with a lead core. 

If you can make it work with your design, Solarez UV surfboard repair resin is an easy to use, strong resin. 

It can be dipped, and then hung over the dipping jar to drip off, without setting up, as long as you do it inside, with no sunlight and no UV emitting lighting, like LEDs. 

It sets up hard in three minutes under a UV nail curing light.

You can redip as often as you like, as long as you cure each dip coat before you redip.

http://solarez.com/products/low-voc-dual-cure-polyester-resin/

This is what I use, but they have other products that may work better for you