bigblue2

fixing sprung split rings

Hard temper stainless rings can’t be repaired as far as I know, but the’re cheap so...  A good pair of ring pliers like Texas Tackle helps get them on undamaged.  Going to larger split rings also helps since they don’t have to be flexed as much to get them on.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 3:25 PM, bigblue2 said:

hey I just repaired the split rings just a little coaxing with needle nose plier rings completely closed now 

Son just lost a fish of a lifetime last week because of a split ring opening up.

As said, replace, or you will groan and moan like he has been all week!

But, yes, they can be fixed, even the tempered ones.  You bend them back, heat them in an oven to 1200 degrees, take them out and dunk them in oil to harden them again.

Now, is THAT worth it?  LOL

• Like 1

On 2017-10-30 at 6:11 PM, gliders said:

Bigblue, best replace with quality split rings, the temper/strength will have changed. Be bad to lose a monster! 

This ^^

I target a lot of fish that are on the larger side. I learned the hard way build strong and leave no weak points 

I have lost big fish do to not replacing split rings learn from my mistakes rather than make your own is my advice 

• Like 1