NC_stipers

Beginner powder painting

I have started pouring my own jig heads for bigger bucktails.  I have no issues with single solid colors in powder painting, but I want to change it up a bit.  I am lost on doing a base powder coat covered with a candy top coat.  How do you keep the base coat from bubbling when heating for the top coat?

I can tell you from my experience, that candies over a base coat is harder to apply. Cady powder paint has a tendency to run and burn quicker than other solid colors. What I would do is put your base color on and bake it. Then take the jig re-heat it and put your candy color over it. The problem here will be, that since your base coat is baked it is going to need more heat to bring it to a softer texture so your candy color will adhere, so don't burn your base coat. Once you get your base coat warm to hot, put your candy color over that. It should adhere to your base coat. If it all bubbles it is to hot, if it doesn't look melted it isn't hot enough. If you don't get it hot enough with your candy color, run it over the heat gun until you see the candy color melted. Make sure you keep turning the jig over the heat repeatedly to keep it from burning. Once you get a smooth finish on both paints, you are ready to bake both colors again. When you bake both colors, the powders will cross-link for powder make-up composition. You can try to bake it at your regular temp., but I think your candy color may run. If that is the case, turn your temp on your oven to 275-300 degrees and see how that comes out. This will be a trial and error exercise. Once you get it figured out write down all of your notes for next time. What you are trying to do does in fact work very well, however it is very touchy and will take some astute observation on your part on what is going on. I hope this helps. If you need more help you can PM me.

• Like 1

I base coat with white or chrome depending on which effect of candy I am going for I fluid bed base coat. Reheat with plumbers torch. (This is what I have always used to heat jigs) then use a powder air brush to apply candy

Same colors of candy top is chrome base and bottom is white base

20160228_215845.jpg

• Like 1