I’ve used 3 brands of MCU but not KBS yet.  All of them are prone to bubble if rotated because rotation, instead of allowing excess MCU to drip off the lure allows it to pool somewhere.  As the solvent flashes off and forms a skin, the trapped pool of MCU remains liquid for too long and tends to wrinkle paint and bubble.  I haven’t tried KBS and maybe it is less prone to do this but if it does, that’s why.  When I paint spoons, I just hang them up to drip dry and that seems to work just fine.

D2T is short for Devcon Two Ton epoxy.   I suggest not using any quick cure epoxy including Devcon 5 minute version because it cures too fast, will not level out very well and it quickly turns an ugly brown from UV exposure.   You want slow cure epoxy for topcoating lures.  Truth be known, I don’t like epoxy on metal spoons because it draws away from the sharp edges of a spoon as it cures and will chip off much more quickly than alternatives like MCU.   A lot of guys like KBS Diamond Coat MCU.  It seems to work well and is reportedly less sensitive to moisture curing in the storage can than others.  But I haven’t gotten around to trying it yet.  What I am using right now is Dick Nite S81 Fishermun’s Lurecoat MCU, which is sold to TUers at a discount by Dick Nite, whose main business is commercially manufacturing spoons.

Before jumping into any MCU, you should search the site and read up on best storage and application techniques.  It can be tricky to use and store but once you have it down, it is hands down the best topcoat for spoons.  Thin, factory-look, super durable, and non yellowing.  I use the “Tap the can” storage method, quickly flood coat lures with a brush, and hang them up to drip dry.  Works for me.

Dick Nite has a special web address for TU members to get the discount.  I don’t have it here on my IPad but someone can supply it.  KBS Diamond is sold by various auto sites including JEGS at competitive prices.  No kidding about reading up on storage and application techniques.  MCU has a tendency to harden in the can pretty quickly from moisture contamination and it is frustrating to pay $50 for a quart of MCU and have to throw away most of it in a few months!

• Like 1

Just wanted to throw my $0.02 in.  I just tapped my first can of KBS diamond top coat.  I have been using etex for two years with pretty good results.  If the mixture if off just a little bit or temperature in the room changes, I might not get a good cure.  I also have to turn every lure after painting on the etex.  It takes almost as much time as painting does.  I decided to try KBS after asking with some other painters in my area.  First impression, quick process, quick cure, horrible fumes.  I will have to do some time of ventilation in my lure room.  In the North Dakota winters, I will expect the room to cool of very quickly, unfortunately.  I won't be afraid to switch my entire process over to KBS.

no bubbling on the first pass.  I hung around a bit to dab the glob of clear off the nose of my lipless baits.  I was satisfied enough that I ran 3 dozen baits through this morning. 

I didn't turn these at all per recommendation.  It's when you have excess material in one spot that you'll get bubbling. 

Edited by drdmh