geforce

handmade lure

geforce, Welcome aboard! I'll try to help you. Do a search here, (at the top, left of the page) there are many discussions about this. Also as far as a template, you can probably find that here under the search as well, but half the fun is designing, testing, proving your own design? and the sky is the limit, whatever you can imagine would be a good place to start. A lot of guys take a proven design, lure and start from there, but from my experience it's much more satisfying starting and perfecting your own. There are many crank bait builders here, and the questions you have can be found under the search tab, tons and tons of information shared on this site. Best of luck and happy building!

My advice is just wing it carve whatever you think the fish will bite. I first started with a jackknife, dremel, and a chunk of wood making lipless baits. Just carved/sanded till I got what looked right and tried it out. Personally I find action and colour trump profile when it comes to fishing in my opinion. Had some crude looking baits that fish loved

Figuring out how different tow points, weighting and lips/water displacement point effects action was the big learning curve for me. 

You can always trace an actual fish and figure out what it takes to make it move

• Like 1

Playing around with a successful bait is the easiest way I found to learn when starting out, at least for me.

I started by taking a commercial  crankbait that I liked, and copying it.  I used the original to learn about lip angle and size, hardware locations, and ballasting, by floating it in a bucket of water, and then adding ballast to my bait's front treble until I got mine to hang at the same angle and depth as the original.

Once I'd figured out how to do that, I started changing the bait in different ways, and seeing how those changes affected the bait's action.

I can now make a crankbait from scratch, to run at a specific depth and with a certain action, and be really close before I take it out to fine tune it in the water, but it took lots of failures to learn what affects what, and how to correct problems.

Good luck.  It's a fun ride.

• Like 1

GeForce 

LINCOYA has an excellent tutorial in Members Submitted Tutorials  .

Hand Carving Your Own Wood Lure

Started by LincoyaMay 26, 2011.

I near made a perfect crankbait the first time I tried his method of making a crankbait.  Very few tools are used with his method, all you need is a sharp wood carving knife,sand paper  and a copping saw.  There are other tutorials on making crankbait lips ,hook hangers and belly weights.  I have found this hobby can be very frustrating at times, but very rewarding . I'll never forget the time when I caught my first fish on my homage lure!

Good luck to you and just keep at it . Don't give up ! You will have some great memories ahead of you .

Hand Carving Your Own Wood Lure

Started by LincoyaMay 26, 2011

On 10/31/2017 at 10:58 AM, RPM said:

geforce, Welcome aboard! I'll try to help you. Do a search here, (at the top, left of the page) there are many discussions about this. Also as far as a template, you can probably find that here under the search as well, but half the fun is designing, testing, proving your own design? and the sky is the limit, whatever you can imagine would be a good place to start. A lot of guys take a proven design, lure and start from there, but from my experience it's much more satisfying starting and perfecting your own. There are many crank bait builders here, and the questions you have can be found under the search tab, tons and tons of information shared on this site. Best of luck and happy building!

well said sir........