wootonc

Striper jigs

Are you trolling, casting from shore, or sitting in a boat anchored up and just jigging up and down?  Answers can vary depending on how you are fishing. Example, if sitting in an anchored boat, I would go with a Spro head because of how it is balanced. Trolling,  I like something more of an inline.  

I am a bucktail fan, but opinions vary. 

I will second watching Mr. Skinner. I picked up several Flounder tips from watching his videos, but seeing where you live, I assume you are going after fresh water Stripers?

I will be the fly in the ointment on this one.  I totally agree with BLT on fig head styles, and weights.  But, I will go against the crowd on this one and suggest Squirrel or synthetic for the hair.  I prefer the Squirrel.

I am stuck with Landlocked Strippers, but even the small ones in Lake Powel and the ones in Toledo Bend tear up the Buck tail/deer tail pretty fast.

Synthetics will work, agreed, but I like the action better of bucktail. Nothing wrong with synthetics at all though. You ought to see what the big Chopper Blue fish do to deer tail at the beach lol. They cut through the  wraps that hold the hair on lol.

I always clear coat threads on all jigs with epoxy. Especially if the fish have teeth . I use heavy thread and tie as tight as the tread will allow . Heavy thread makes a slightly rough collar but epoxy takes care of that . Over the years i haven't had any complaints of jigs coming apart .

I fish lakes and fast water for stripers. I use deer hair, some synthetics and flash, but mainly hair. Most of the people that I deal with want hair. Tied properly there is no issues with normal wear. I use egg, ball, etc heads with collar to give a body shape of a forage fish.  My molds are modified for certain hooks.

Weight depends on what you are looking for as far as depth while trolling or just floating and jigging. I troll mainly while fishing with buctails. I'll use weights from 1/4-3/4 oz in 0-50', heavier for deeper. Honestly it all depends on the conditions.