FrogAddict

Frog Failure!

So I've been messing around with recreating a Stanley Top Toad for awhile. I was able to create some workable Toads out of plastisol but I wanted a more durable lure. If you're unfamiliar, the Top Toad has paddle feet and floats (it's hollow). I'm not selling these, they're just for me to use. Well, I got the idea to buy some liquid rubber and pour it into the POP mold I made last year. 

First off, I bought the Rustoleum product, brought it home and opened the can. Man it stinks! . I decided just to pour it into my injection mold because I didn't want to ruin my injector in the experiment. It was very thick and difficult to pour into the mold but I did itI then waited about 30 hours and checked the mold. The rubber hadn't even begin to set up.  At this point I decided that if it took 2-3 days to set up, it wasn't worth it and now I'm in the process of trying to salvage the mold.

Just thought I'd share so others can learn from my mistake.

You might want to give the guys at SmoothOn a call.... they sell all sorts of  pour able rubber,  silicone's, etc, etc.... I'm sure they could steer you in the right direction for something that floats and will setup in a mold.

Some rubbers/silicones won't set up in a mold because they need to gas off into the air - and with little to no open contact with air inside a mold - they just don't kick over and will always be uncured.  You'll need something that catalysis on it's own.  Smooth on has a whole range of things - some kickover in just minutes - and most can be tinted a color as well.

J.

Both Alumilite and SmothOn should be able to point you in the right direction.  You will need to keep a hollow body with that style if you want the body to collapse so the hooks will work.  Also, most products will be heavier then water so the hollow body allows them to float.

I have had good results in the past using this product.

https://www.alumilite.com/store/p/943-Flex-30.aspx

I hand rotomolded the product to get the hollow body when I did it, after pouring the legs first and letting them firm up.

It was not the easiest thing I have done, but it was also several years ago when I was learning the methods.  Make sure you mix the two sides in their containers well before mixing side a and side b.

Anglinarcher,

Ah, I think you just solved my dilemma. That flex 30 is perfect. Since I have an insert I've molded from the existing Top Toad, I won't have to rotomold. Thank you for the advice. I do enjoy working with the Alumilite folks. They have been great at answering my questions in the past.

SlowFISH,

I came to the same conclusion after the fact, the lack of air in the mold was the issue.

Edited by FrogAddict