KugaTog

Fluid bed - Paint going everywhere!

Hello,

I am new to powder painting and just made a homemade rig for powder painting jigs with a fluid bed. Everything is sealed tight and I am using a brown paper bag as a filter.

im having a lot of issues with it volcanoing and it comming out the top in a mist form. Is this just due to too much pressure in air?

Edited by KugaTog

I put the paint in the bed with the valve closed, slowly open it until the paint lifts up like you want or it  volcanoes. If it volcanoes back the air off until it stops. Now stir the paint with something . When it soft and fluffy it should rise up. If not add some air. My beds are 2" by 3" tall. I have some jig heads that are 1 oz. and 2 1/2 " long.  It take more air to lift the paint so I have two Walmart pump hooked together. 

Do you have any valves installed to control the air flow?

We run 2 lines out of ours and have a brass valve on each line. All paints are not the same density and will require a different amount of air flow so being able to control the air flow is important. 1 type of filter media is not going to work for every color of paint without having better control of the airflow.

• Like 1

The vibrator is nice though I have limited time using it so far.

I bought a couple of cheap vibratory motors off of eBay.

Just ordered a speed controller so I will hopefully have adjustable vibration.

I started with a piece of aluminium C channel added spring feet and hot glued on two fluid beds with a 12v vibratory motor hot glued on each one.

I'll get some pics when I get back from work next week.

Edited by Kasilofchrisn